Oracle Homes

Jeremy M.

Jeremy M.

Well Known Member
I am new to using the Red Stack. I am experiencing some issues and wanted to find out how others handle these problems. I am running everything on Windows 2008 64-bit. My Enterprise/Database/Web are all on the same box. I have installed Oracle 11g 11.1.0.7 for the DB and Oracle AS 10.1.3.4 for the Web. I installed both of these apps with the windows user JDE.

My first problem was I was unable to install the Platform Pack. I had to create system variables for ORACLE_HOME/ORACLE_SID/TNS_ADMIN. I also had to rearrange the PATH variable. Since I installed OAS last the OAS bin was listed first in the PATH variable. So, the Platform Pack was trying to connect to OAS and not the DB. I rearranged the PATH variable so the DB bin was listed first and I am now installing the Platform Pack.

How do others handle this? Do you use a different user to install each product and use User Variables? I am afraid my OAS will not work now.

Are there any other Red Stack tips from the wise?

Thanks!

[ QUOTE ]
I am new to using the Red Stack. I am experiencing some issues and wanted to find out how others handle these problems. I am running everything on Windows 2008 64-bit. My Enterprise/Database/Web are all on the same box.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just stated the problem - unless you are using VM ware or some very funky setup, your Enterprise/Database/Web should not all be on the same box. Enterprise and Database are fine together. Move the Web off to it's own box.

- Gregg

Alright... I will put the OAS on a different server.

Second question...

After installing the Deployment server I was able to log in to JDEPLAN. I tried to run my workbench and it failed to connect to the database server. I installed the 11g Client and copied my tnsnames.ora file over from the database server to the 11g Client install on the Deployment server. Now I can't log in to JDEPLAN anymore. It is unable to connect to the local database. I am assuming it is now trying to use the 11g Client install to connect to the local database.

How do you manage this? In other words how do you setup the Deployment server to be able to connect to both the local database and the 11g database?

Thanks for bearing with me.

Jeremy

Is it safe to just copy what is in the E1Local tnsnames.ora file and append it to the 11g tnsnames.ora? or should I do it the other way around? Is there any other files I will need to change (sqlnet.ora or listener.ora)?

Boy... you Oracle DBA's are hard to get information from. Copying what is in the E1Local tnsnames.ora file and appending it to the 11g tnsnames.ora seemed to do the trick. Now I can log into the local db and installing my Planner to the environments worked so I know it can connect to the 11g db as well. At least I haven't ran into any errors yet.

Can anyone tell me how I can verify the path the JDE service uses to get to the tnsnames.ora? When I start the JDE service I am getting these errors in the Security Kernel:

572/6112 MAIN_THREAD Wed Jan 27 10:10:25.606001 dbinitcn.c745
OCI0000374 - Failed to connect to the database instance

572/6112 MAIN_THREAD Wed Jan 27 10:10:25.606003 dbinitcn.c750
OCI0000375 - Error - ORA-12557: TNS:protocol adapter not loadable

572/6112 MAIN_THREAD Wed Jan 27 10:10:25.606005 dbinitcn.c427
OCI0000064 - Unable to create database server connection

572/6112 MAIN_THREAD Wed Jan 27 10:10:25.606008 dbinitcn.c520
OCI0000367 - Unable to connect to Oracle ORA-12557: TNS:protocol adapter not loadable

572/6112 MAIN_THREAD Wed Jan 27 10:10:25.606010 Jdb_drvm.c909
JDB9900164 - Failed to connect to JDE

The tnsnames.ora located on the Enterprise\Database server is the same one used on the Deployment server and it works. So, I am thinking that it is not looking in the right place.

Also, should I setup my JDE service and all Oracle services to start with the JDE windows user?

[ QUOTE ]
Boy... you Oracle DBA's are hard to get information from.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because this is not an Oracle DBA forum. It's a JDE admin forum.....

Ouch, sorry. My question was a JDE related question. I would like to know how can I verify what tnsnames JDE is using? We do have a Oracle DBA but he has no idea how JDE interacts with Oracle.

OK, well without getting into the strictly optional TNS_ADMIN environment variable/registry setting, tts actually quite simple to determine which Oracle Home is being used in this case.

Drop to a command shell and execute sqlplus. If you see client version 10.2, it is the local Oracle client, and if you see 11.1, it is the secondary client you installed. Truth be told, the local client should really have no issues connecting to the 11g database, though we've probably all seen issues in the past with older versions of the client and newer versions on the server.

Whichever Oracle home "bin" directory is listed first in the path is the one which should be calling.

Oh, and it is safe to insert the TNS entry for the external database into the local tnsnames.ora, retaining the existing entry, and vice versa.

Apart from the PATH and some Oracle-specific environment variables, there's also a DEFAULT_HOME value under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\ALL_HOMES key in the registry, which may also have an effect. I'm not really sure what effect, though. But if anyone cares, Google should find you more details. And Oracle client also comes with a "Home Selector" tool to change that.

My guess is that to change this consistently, bot this setting _and_ the PATH should be adjusted.

Type tnsping <connectstring> in a cmd window. It will tell you which sqlnet.ora it uses. It is my understanding that it uses the tnsnames.ora from that same directory.

Gerd

I want to thank everyone for the advice. I did get my enterprise server up and running with everyone helps. It was really the combination of everyone's advice that helped me solve my problems.

Gregglarkin - Thanks for the OAS advice. It's up and running on it's own box.

cmanderson - You were right, whichever Oracle home "bin" directory is listed first in the PATH variable is the one I had to edit in order for the JDE Service to use the 32-bit client.

Just out of curiosity though... is anyone running OAS on the same server as their Oracle DB? I would really like to see if I can get this setup to work for a lab environment.

Back