E9.2 Has anyone installed 9.2 Standalone on Windows 10 Home? Getting 'The command failed with error -1' on E1local

tiradoj

tiradoj

Well Known Member
I believe I have all the prereqs installed for creating local E1local db but I am not sure the Oracle 32 bit client is fully operational. Looking for a way to test it
without a database lol. (Can't run a listener on it without a db to connect to--tried even installing Oracle 21c XE express on it for giggles -- short answer, XE does not install:
known issue with Windows Home) There is no 'lib32' folder I could find with 12.2.0.1.0 (Windows search in File Explorer never stops searching...another joke from Windows)

Yes Oracle 32 bit is first in PATH.

I've received this message in the past on previous 9.2 Standalone installations but can't find my note on it.

It's the darndest thing. Thanks in advance.

27 1 03:45:52 I Installing Oracle.
28 1 03:45:52 I Installing Oracle Database Engine....
29 1 03:45:52 I Installing Oracle Database Engine with command: C:\Oracle\E1Local\oui\bin\setup.exe -silent -responseFile C:\Users\Turk RImmer\AppData\Local\Temp\db_install.rsp -nowait -clone -nobackground -waitforcompletion -force ORACLE_BASE=C:\Oracle ORACLE_HOME=C:\Oracle\E1Local ORACLE_HOME_NAME=E1Local
30 1 03:46:01 E : The command failed with error -1.

Interesting, because that's exactly the error that you'd expect if it doesn't use the 32-Bit Client :unsure:
You could also test it by just shotting sqlplus from cmd and see which one is being opened (usually obvious from the version that's printed). Is IPv6 disabled?

Interesting, because that's exactly the error that you'd expect if it doesn't use the 32-Bit Client :unsure:
You could also test it by just shotting sqlplus from cmd and see which one is being opened (usually obvious from the version that's printed). Is IPv6 disabled?
Well there is no Oracle database installed so sqlplus is not going to connect to anything so I expect it to give error message :) and so far, I cannot find an edition of Oracle db that will install on Windows 10 Home just to prove out 32 bit client is connecting correctly to a db (Tried XE express) The ORACLE_HOME variable was/is set to the directory/Oracle home directory the WebLogic Server installation process sets it to by default, to wit: c:\Oracle\Middleware\Oracle_Home-- (I am following Oracle's 9.2 official documentation to the letter on this which may be the problem ;p)

The Oracle 32 bit client (c:\app\client\USER DIRECTORY\product\12.2.0\client_2\bin) and 64 bit (c:\app\client\USER DIRECTORY\product\12.2.0\client_1\bin) directory paths are set correctly in proper order in ENV Variables so that is not the issue.

This appears to be a chicken and egg scenario. I have successfully installed 9.1 Standalone on Windows 7 with 11g Oracle client files so something else is at play here clearly.

I am 90% sure it is something missing in official Oracle documentation. I should have become a Product Manager in Documentation at J.D. Edwards way back in 1997 and spent my JDE career there. :) I still believe no one in QA attempts to do any JDE installs in the Oracle lab using official PDF documentation ALONE (no known issues docs, JDElist forums, etc) and see how that worked out for them. Long ago I found several errors in a particular JDE install manual for a given release and sent my "suggestions or notes" into JDE HQ in Denver for the documentation team to INCLUDE them in the correct spots through out manual. All they did was tack them on to the very end of the manual-which you wouldn't see unless of course you happen to look at index or something. LOL. I expected them to insert my corrections or clarifications in the right places but guess they didn't have time to do that. :)

Hi,
i didn't want to connect it, just start it :)
...but from what you said: Why do you have both Clients, 32-Bit and 64-Bit installed?!

Hi,
i didn't want to connect it, just start it :)
...but from what you said: Why do you have both Clients, 32-Bit and 64-Bit installed?!
I figured it out Mfreitag. Thank you. One of two possibilities: 1) I created a local user 'JDE' Windows account on the laptop and gave it admin rights-did E1Local db install under that account and 2) I also DID NOT install 64 bit client (after removing previous installs of 32 bit and 64 bit) --only 32 bit- I believe 64 bit client was messing up the creation of the paths for sqlplus and 'miraculously' installing as JDE suddenly 'found' the correct ORACLE_HOME (under the middleware folder) and installed E1Local. Yay!

I was able to login via sqlplus - happy for a few minutes! I have a suspicion the Installer did not like me logging on as a Windows user with a different name (in my case turkr) but that is only a theory at this point - To answer your question why I installed 64 bit client, it is to prove a point: the Oracle Manual for 9.2 Standalone talks about the PATH order ad nauseam ( 'if you are installing the 64 bit database, you have to make sure the client path order is 32 bit client first, then 64 bit.) IMPLYING , to me anyway, one needs to install the 64 bit oracle client but for the purposes of the standalone I don't think 64 bit client is necessary since E1 is a 32 bit app and we are not putting down a full 64 bit Production Oracle db/E1 instance down but I will verify this because that is how I roll. I like to prove out Oracle manuals-see what is true what is false and what should be clarified. :) For example a line like 'You do NOT need to install a separate 64 bit client for STANDALONE' SIDEBAR NOTE in documentation would have helped save lots of time.

Bad news is, I tried to install WebLogic 12.2.1.2.0 to be ahead of the curve instead of WLS 12.1.3 and it foo bar'd the E1Local db (FYI WLS 12.2.1.2.0 is supported from 9.2.1.0 forward--can you believe it? 1 minor release ahead of Standalone who's base is 9.2.0.0) so now (because E1 installation process on client is so unforgiving when one step fails in the process-and there is no "Continue from last successful point" button on Oracle Installer) I have to UNINSTALL both the E920 directory structure and the E1Local db components and REINSTALL the components since the failed Client install of E1 put the E1Local db in a permanent "shutting down" state. Grrr. Why did I push the envelope? LOL. ReConfigureDB won't help -tried it- tried resetting sys system or sysdba passwords to alter db status and because of Enhance Encryption couldn't do so (wasn't prompted to input any Oracle passwords anywhere in process btw)- can't even connect/login as JDE to E1Local to alter database state to get db out of shutting down mode. I love this software! :D

Rocking and Rolling Now! Got 9.2 DEMO Standalone on my Windows 10 Home laptop. Now on to organizing my Notes on the Major Installation GOTCHAS! that will leave you crying like a baby if not avoided :D and on to setting up E1 on a suite of VMWare servers over Windows Server 2022!! Happy New Years indeed!

Rocking and Rolling Now! Got 9.2 DEMO Standalone on my Windows 10 Home laptop. Now on to organizing my Notes on the Major Installation GOTCHAS! that will leave you crying like a baby if not avoided :D and on to setting up E1 on a suite of VMWare servers over Windows Server 2022!! Happy New Years indeed!
Hey Tiradoj - Once compiled, can you share your notes and areas that you would update Oracle Docs?

Thanks!
Greg

I'm jealous-- I tried to get it running on my win11 box but after running into enough brick walls decided to call it off.

Wish there was just a docker image or something instead of all the insane setup

Hey Tiradoj - Once compiled, can you share your notes and areas that you would update Oracle Docs?

Thanks!
Greg
I will put something together Greg and post here at some point. I am working on installing a full instance on Win 2022 with WMWare and it's a bit ticky getting all the trial versions of software and hardware in place.

There is - not for free though.
I am doing exactly that: except installing a FULL E1 instance on VMWare and/or Hyper-V-I only have one NIC in my machine though so I need to get a second to supposedly be able to REMOTE DESKTOP into all the JDE VMs as well has HOST Server for VMs as well. It is interesting these folks are selling DEMO 9.2 images. I guess I should have thought of that. :D It is a bargain though if it works cause it took me 4 days to get it configured since Oracle doc was not clear in a few key areas. It still has the Installing 32 bit client AFTER installing the E1Local which won't work (at least it didn't in my case). Documentation doesn't make it clear 64 bit client is not needed or that any version of WLS that isn't 12.1.3 will foo bar your installation for 9.2.0.0.

I should probably start a new thread but this is more of a status report than a question: Setup 3 VMs using VMWare for latest FULL E1 release (9.2.7.X) over the weekend: BATMAN (Dep Svr), ROBIN (Web Svr) and JOKER (Ent Svr)-was tricky getting OS to install because it would not install from a FOLDER or USB with VMWare, had to copy ISO image to a DVD and put in DVD drive to load VM and a couple of steps in VMWare to get it going. Now I have WinSvr 2022 on 3 vms, able to access each with Remote Desktop (after enabling in Server Manager) Now hope to start Oracle db install on Ent Svr along with any prereq and prep of Dep Svr for E1 Dep Svr install this week.

Side Rant: Why after 47 years of Microsoft OS evolution and development is it STILL extremely easy to LOCK UP File Explorer by using FE to Burn a disc from ISO image to DVD writer? Tried it several times and each time lock up the File Explorer. Nuts.

ooh

ooh this looks interesting, thanks!

can anyone with experience here tell me how much it would cost to run this per month? if I turn it off 20 days per month and only run it 10, would it be 1/3 less to run?
Yes! Shutdown machines don't cost any money...at least it doesn't on OCI, i naively guess AWS is the same.
So that AWS offering on US East will cost you 313$ a month, or if we split it up for 2 work days per week:
Let's say you run it on Monday and Wednesday from 9am to 6pm, that's ~8days*9hrs*0.421$/hr= 31$

Very cool but not exactly free (note the small print). It's a shared environment however, yes? The OS is Windows 2019 (mine is Windows 2022) One has no control over status of instance (will instance be overwritten with 9273 tomorrow?); will instance even be there tomorrow?; no assurances the test data you enter today will be there tomorrow or can be entered, etc. .....It is important to point out these things to POWER USERS of JDE E1 who want THEIR OWN PRIVATE INSTANCE (like My Own Private Idaho? :)) of E1 to explore and experiment with: hence the continual need for a STANDALONE instance. :D

Not the best image but this is the WebDev client MAIN PAGE after sign in for 9.2.0.0 DEMO standalone (going to see if I can get a more recent TR on)--busy installing FULL 9271 instance on VMs - notes for the DEMO install will be posted hopefully within a week or so. Thanks for your patience.
1673721390855.png

9271 Server Manager login screen and 12.2.1.2.0 Weblogic Server for E1 Server Manager on Dep Svr WinSvr 2022 on VMWare. Looking awesome!

1673721700123.png

Thanks!
Greg
I will Greg. The main thing is to ignore the 64 bit client talk in Oracle instructions (install 32 bit Oracle client BEFORE E1 Standalone files) install using JDE as Windows account with Admin privilege (I am superstitious) and use 12.1.3 WebLogic and do steps in proper order. I will put together notes and post here

Back