"Migrate" single objects from one installation to another without "Boomerang"?.

Ignacio Rafael

\"Migrate\" single objects from one installation to another without \"Boomerang\"?.

As I've said in the post subject. In our company, we have several clients who will need same objects we've developed in a first client. We are disscussing about the "copy & paste" possibility:

a) I'm almost sure that the only ways are:
- Copy the object code line per code line, as I've had done in several clients.
- Purchase a expensive license of "Boomerang", I've never used it, but it seems the only "starndard" and fast solution. Is there another free third party application as "Boomerang"?.

b) A consultant has told me that there is a standard JD Edwards application -include in the installation- to create or build an ESU with the objects which can be installed in any client with the same Tools. I think that it could be, but it sounds too easy
blush.gif

c) A Oracle seller has told us that it is easier: with the bottoms "Save" and "Restore" from the OMW can be done with our current version (E900). I've investigated and this solution doesn't seem possible
grin.gif

What do you think about this?
confused.gif
. I'm a simple programmer so maybe I'm wrong.

Thank you for your help
smile.gif

PD: apologize me if I've made some mistakes. I'm from Spain and my English could not be the best.

Re: \"Migrate\" single objects from one installation to another without \"Boomerang\"?.

Approach B is what is called "Product Packaging" It has its own separate manual on the procedure, which is not nearly as easy as Boomerang or Approach C. It can also be buggy, so make sure you have applied any ESUs for the Product Packaging objects.

Approach C is one I have used. Since you are on 9.0, I can say for certain that it will work moving an object to 8.12. This won't work for every version. You don't mention what version you are coming from, but I can speculate that the earliest version that it is likely to work with is 8.11 SP1, essentially any recent version that can store specs in XML format.

Configure the Central Objects location of the other version as your Save Location. Create the object in 9.0. Restore the object in OMW, and the specs will come over from the older version to 9.0.

I can say for certain this method works taking an object from 9.0 to 8.12. It should work in reverse as the Central Objects format hasn't changed.

Re: \"Migrate\" single objects from one installation to another without \"Boomerang\"?.

One more path - not recommended for the light hearted...

On the developer client, flex your pathcode.

Meaning play a game of shells:
* From machines with similar setup and versions of E1
* Create Duplicate of base DV8xx as DV8xx.bak on Destination Machine
* Check out objects or create 'new' objects - on destination machine
* Make sure that 'Originating system' has all the object you want to copy 'checked out' - so they are in the pathcode (post jiti)
* Use Beyond Compare to shoot folders from the 'Originating system' to the Destination system
* Open Fat Client and see if 'new' object is there. If it is there - SAVE it to the SAVE Location.
* Test the object with the local web (if Application)
* Test the heck out of it - to make sure it works

** If works as expected, Check it in
*** If does not work as expected, use Beyond Compare to shoot your .bak folders back where they belong.

Save / Restore using the ZIP method works well, in most cases. I've seen where it completely misses some objects - buyer beware!

Boom is the simplist path. Sadly - it just got too dang expensive for me to continue to use or recommend publically.

(db)

With the "full" licensed version of boomerang, the import ability is free for importing the objects.

Also, Boomerang is the only product that clearly allows upward migration of objects between E1 versions (eg, Xe to 9.0)

Before you spend lots and lots of time redeveloping the CNC architecture of your customers and/or messing around with product packaging - talk to Alex and take a closer look at Boomerang. Its really not that expensive a solution, and will absolutely do everything you want.

www.everestsoftint.com is his website.

You should try Zip file export/import first, which is the standard function of JDE now.

---------------
How can I save an object as XML specs in Object Management Workbench (OMW) with 8.96 or later tools release?
Solution:
Beginning with 8.96 tools release, users have a choice to save an object in OMW as XML formatted specs to a ZIP file. In order to save the specs to a zip file, the following setting is needed in the client jde.ini.

[METADATA]
OMWZIP=1

This feature replaces the function of Boomerang to export, import JDE object between different JDE system.

Import from Zip file:
You can import a zip file – by pressing the restore button and then answering yes to the next question. I think the zip file is a better option all round.

Back