E9.2 World to E1 migration

slandess

slandess

Well Known Member
All -

Background:

I work in a very large JDE World A9.4 shop running on IBM i 7.3.

We are current with JDE World A9.4 software and pay for annual software support to Oracle, which is a significant amount of money given that we really only really need annual 1099 updates for our software for tax reporting.

We rarely if ever call the JDE support line to report bugs (especially minor ones) because everyone knows that's a joke.

The company got caught in a jam a few years back because they had dropped Oracle support for the World software (version A8.1) which was then running on an iSeries with V5R4.

When OS/400 V5R4 hit end of life they had to upgrade to new IBM i Power hardware in order to upgrade the IBM i OS to version 7.3, leading to the inevitable issue of needing new media for the JDE objects from Oracle to continue using the JDE software on the new machine, since the Oracle-supplied objects running on V5R4 could not be migrated (re-encapsulated during restore) to run on the new OS.

After being off support for 10 years, the company was required to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to Oracle and get back on Oracle JDE support in order to get the new media, and continue to pay Oracle for support since that time.

Current dilemma:

As you probably already know, Oracle has set a date for end of support for JDE World 9.4.

"Premier" Support reached end-of-life in April 2022.
"Extended" Support ends in April 2025, so it appears that we'll continue to get 1099 updates until then.
"Sustaining" Support is indicated as indefinite.

However, noted below is the Oracle statement on "Sustaining" support:

Sustaining Support

Sustaining Support puts you in control of your upgrade strategy. When Premier Support expires, if you choose not to purchase Extended Support, or when Extended Support expires, Sustaining Support will be available for as long as you license your Oracle products. With Sustaining Support, you receive technical support, including access to our online support tools, knowledgebases, and technical support experts. You benefit from

- Major product and technology releases
- Technical support
- Access to My Oracle Support
- Fixes, updates, and critical patch updates created during Premier Support and Extended Support (if offered and only after the Extended Support period ends)
- Upgrade scripts created during the Premier Support stage

Sustaining Support does not include

- New updates, fixes, security alerts, data fixes, and critical patch updates
- New tax, legal, and regulatory updates
- New upgrade scripts  Certification with new third-party products/versions  Certification with new Oracle products

For more specifics on Premier Support, Extended Support, and Sustaining Support, please refer to Oracle’s “Technical Support Policies.”

What happens next...

Because we are reaching end-of-life on World, our Oracle business partner has been urging us to consider migration to E1, but there are many issues we must consider.

We are a property management company with:
- External property management systems (Yardi and MRI) which feed data into JDE
- External payroll system
- JDE GL/AP/AR systems
- JDE Property Management system
- JDE Fixed Assets system
- Hundreds of JDE World customizations
- Many Custom-written programs on the IBM i system which interface with JDE
- Custom-written Tax system which interfaces with JDE GL
- High-volume importation of journal entries via CSV files from external systems
- High-volume importation of payables (both regular and manual) via CSV files into JDE from external systems (Workspace)
- Import of Payroll data into JDE general ledger
- Hundreds of FASTR's, many of which create journal entries
- Hundreds of World Writer reports

I'm trying to get a handle on the amount of time that will be needed to get all of this done successfully. My guess is that the company will spend millions of dollars on a World to E1 upgrade/migration.

Personally, I have worked in several World software shops which didn't have Oracle/JDE support and we were able to successfully manage the 1099 updates without assistance from Oracle/JDE. My primary concern on staying with JDE World would be having a situation where we again needed new IBM i media for Oracle-supplied JDE World objects.
I'm not certain that Oracle would supply that media via Sustaining support.

Questions:
1) Do Dream Writer forms migrate easily to E1 ?
2) Does Oracle have migration tools which will convert the JDE World FASTR and WW's to the native E1 report writer, or do these have to be rewritten ?

As an aside, we also aren't sure that Enterprise One is the route we really need to take - there are many factions within the company that are not friendly to the JDE solution and everyone thinks that having a new solution which runs "in the cloud" will solve everyone's problems.

Thanks and best regards,

First - very well written post.
Second - In My Humble Opinion you should expand your options to look for providers / software packages that specialize in Property Management.

Cheers

SAP isn’t the only ERP vendor that wants to move on-prem customers to its cloud-based option. Its top rival, Oracle, appears to have similar aims. . . .
Similarly, the company states that, for JD Edwards World, any future enhancements, regulatory updates, and technology improvements will be delivered on the A9.4 code base under the Premier Support timeline. In other words, don’t expect a major new release of World, and don’t expect any new functionality or application enhancements after April 2022 (although you can expect tax and regulatory updates through 2025 if you’re on extended support).

Oracle is confident that it can deliver any needed enhancements to World A9.4 and EnterpriseOne 9.2 through its “Continuous Innovation” process, which has been in place at Oracle since 2014. “With the Continuous Innovation delivery model, we plan to deliver all new functionality to JD Edwards EnterpriseOne as updates to the existing release; upgrades are not required to gain access to new features and capabilities,” the company writes.

The company is committing to delivering two or three updates to EnterpriseOne 9.2 annually, and for World A9.4 on an “as needed” basis, the company says.

Of course, not all JD Edwards customers are on EnterpriseOne 9.2 or World A9.4. On EnterpriseOne, there are many customers still running version 8 releases of the ERP system, while on World, A7.3 would appear to be the final stop for many companies JD Edwards’ journeys. Getting these companies to upgrade to the v9 releases of both World and EnterpriseOne is a priority for Oracle, and has been for some time.

The IBM i platform factors into the JD Edwards equation in several ways. World only runs on IBM i hosts, of course, but EnterpriseOne was developed in the modern architecture and runs on several platforms, including IBM i, and Windows. About 10 percent of my EnterpriseOne installed base runs on IBM i, Harris said.

The biggest headwind against JD Edwards at this point is rumors of its demise. While the days are numbered for World, EnterpriseOne has a lot of life left, Harris said. However, Oracle’s internal sales team has pushed a migration to cloud-based ERP heavily into the JD Edwards installed base, to the detriment of JD Edwards.

“JD Edwards is not dead,” Harris said. “Of course, if you’ve got salespeople out there making money off one thing, they’re going got say the other thing is dead. If you’re selling Fords, you’re going to say Chevy is discontinuing that model – you don’t want to buy it. That’s what’s happening.”

SLandess, the technical questions you asked about FASTRs and WorldWriters can be answered Oracle's upgrade/migration team. Post the questions to them

First - very well written post.
Second - In My Humble Opinion you should expand your options to look for providers / software packages that specialize in Property Management.

Cheers
Larry Jones' recommendation is interesting. Can you find an ERP provider whose entire focus is Property Management?

All -

Background:

We are current with JDE World A9.4 software and pay for annual software support to Oracle, which is a significant amount of money given that we really only really need annual 1099 updates for our software for tax reporting.

We rarely if ever call the JDE support line to report bugs (especially minor ones) because everyone knows that's a joke.

The company got caught in a jam a few years back because they had dropped Oracle support for the World software (version A8.1) which was then running on an iSeries with V5R4.

When OS/400 V5R4 hit end of life they had to upgrade to new IBM i Power hardware in order to upgrade the IBM i OS to version 7.3, leading to the inevitable issue of needing new media for the JDE objects from Oracle to continue using the JDE software on the new machine, since the Oracle-supplied objects running on V5R4 could not be migrated (re-encapsulated during restore) to run on the new OS.

After being off support for 10 years, the company was required to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to Oracle and get back on Oracle JDE support in order to get the new media, and continue to pay Oracle for support since that time.

Current dilemma:

As you probably already know, Oracle has set a date for end of support for JDE World 9.4.

"Extended" Support ends in April 2025, so it appears that we'll continue to get 1099 updates until then.

Sustaining Support

Sustaining Support puts you in control of your upgrade strategy. When Premier Support expires, if you choose not to purchase Extended Support, or when Extended Support expires, Sustaining Support will be available for as long as you license your Oracle products. With Sustaining Support, you receive technical support, including access to our online support tools, knowledgebases, and technical support experts. You benefit from

- Technical support
- Fixes, updates, and critical patch updates created during Premier Support and Extended Support (if offered and only after the Extended Support period ends)

- New upgrade scripts  Certification with new third-party products/versions  Certification with new Oracle products

For more specifics on Premier Support, Extended Support, and Sustaining Support, please refer to Oracle’s “Technical Support Policies.”

What happens next...

Because we are reaching end-of-life on World, our Oracle business partner has been urging us to consider migration to E1, but there are many issues we must consider.

- JDE GL/AP/AR systems
- High-volume importation of journal entries via CSV files from external systems
- High-volume importation of payables (both regular and manual) via CSV files into JDE from external systems (Workspace)

I'm trying to get a handle on the amount of time that will be needed to get all of this done successfully. My guess is that the company will spend millions of dollars on a World to E1 upgrade/migration.

Personally, I have worked in several World software shops which didn't have Oracle/JDE support and we were able to successfully manage the 1099 updates without assistance from Oracle/JDE. My primary concern on staying with JDE World would be having a situation where we again needed new IBM i media for Oracle-supplied JDE World objects.

Questions:
2) Does Oracle have migration tools which will convert the JDE World FASTR and WW's to the native E1 report writer, or do these have to be rewritten ?

As an aside, we also aren't sure that Enterprise One is the route we really need to take - there are many factions within the company that are not friendly to the JDE solution and everyone thinks that having a new solution which runs "in the cloud" will solve everyone's problems.

Thanks and best regards,
Review this IBM page https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/erp-solutions-ibm-i

All -

Background:

Current dilemma:

Sustaining Support

- Technical support

What happens next...

- JDE GL/AP/AR systems

Questions:

Thanks and best regards,
I recognize some names with search terms: property management erp systems

ERP Software you mentioned here, there are many other Manufacturing ERP software available in the market. But choosing right one for your business is very difficult. With more than 12 years of experience in the industry and proven expertise in delivering manufacturing erp software, we are dedicated to taking your business to the next level with our bespoke ERP solutions.

SLANDLESS I'd be interested to know what path and solution(s) you end up going with.

It has taken me quite a while, but I've spun up a Sandbox E1 9.2 (9.2.5.3, 32-bit) system running on an Ubuntu 22.04 LTS hypervisor.

The new AIS/Orchestrator Studio and BSSV capabilities alone make E1 9.2.x and beyond worth having a serious look at.

Oracle was developing a FASTR conversion tool, but haven't heard anything about it recently.

Your FASTR reports may be re-written in ERW, E1 Pages/OneView, or SAP Business Objects Enterprise (Web-Intelligence/Desktop Intelligence).
I've done a fair bit of ad hoc report writing for JDE with Business Objects/Crystal/Web-I/Desktop-I).

The Business Objects Universe Designer has a lot of power and it is even possible to build cubes (Universes) from disparate DBMS sources, if necessary.
SAP's Bus Obj & HANA are not cheap, but they are powerful, and perhaps faster to implement than rebuilding your FASTR reports from scratch in ERW.

A FASTR->ERW developer cost vs. FASTR->Business Objects developer cost evaluation could be made.

In addition, your future E1 business data could be mirrored to another server and Business Objects Enterprise could be pointed to the mirror system, thereby reducing loads on your production E1 servers significantly. A former client of mine did this on both their A9 and E1 .9.2 systems with considerable success (afaik).

Best. - JB.

Back