Fat Client install in XPMode on Windows 7

Adrian_Chimirel

Adrian_Chimirel

Legendary Poster
Following a post from this forum, I am trying to install a Fat Client on a W7 machine, in XPMode.
The problem is I cannot see the packages when I want to install E1.
The way to fix it is:
1- change the Network setting from NAT to the Physiscal card, AND
2- replace the WORKGROUP with your domain if you don't wnat to connect manually to your deployment share (E812).

Your feedback is appreciated,

It sounds to me like you have the XPMode configured to not connect to the domain automatically. Is that correct or am I completely missing the situation? It seems like you would have to switch the network connection every time you wanted to use JDE so it could connect to the database through the domain.

The biggest question I have is do you need to run in XP Mode for some other reason than JDE? We are running JDE fat clients on Windows 7 directly which will be much faster and cleaner than in XP Mode.

Let me know how confused I am on your question!
smile.gif

Jer

It didn't occur to me until later that maybe TR 8.98.1.1 doesn't support Win 7. That would be a reason to use XPMode. However, you should be able to configure XPMode to connect to the domain. We did that before we migrated to SP24.

Jer

Hi Jer,
Sorry for my late reply, but you are 100% right - our current TR does not support W7
crazy.gif

When asked my Infra Manager to configure XPMode to the domain, his suggestion is one cannot have XPMode be used in a reliable manner:
[ QUOTE ]
... many unknown things can make XPMode unstable ...

[/ QUOTE ]
But, even when I connected to the deployment share, ugly BSFNxxx.dll errors showed up after login, and I decided it is not worth fighting it anymore.
We'll live with our XP workstations ... what's another couple more years?
Thank you,

Sorry to hear that. I agree that good old XP can live on. However, what happens next year when you need to install another application on your PC that does not run on XP? What happens when you have to upgrade workstations?
Maybe a TR that supports Win 7 will come out before any of that happens.

I would not give up on XP Mode. I had it configured on my Win 7 machine and it was just as solid as XP native on a PC. The only drawback is it consumes a lot of resources (disk and memory (when running)). If your workstation is beefy enough, XP Mode should work just fine. Unfortunately, I didn't do the install/configuration so I can't provide tips on how to do it. All I know is it looked and behaved exactly like any other PC on the network/domain.

Jer

Hi,

I have E812 and E900 Development Clients (Tools 89842
and 89831 respectively) running on Win7 SP1 + Visual
Studio 2005 SP1. No problems so far

That is good news. Are 89842 and 89831 MTR supported for Win 7? I ran E1 8.0 native on Win 7 on SP23_ZA1 with no problems even though it was not supported by Oracle. We waited until SP 24.1.2 before we isntalled it on Win 7 for our users in case we needed Oracle support.

Jer

Hi,

"Not supported" doesn't mean "it doesn't work"
It just means "I haven't had the time or people to test it"

Of course, if you ever encounter any issue on an
unsupported platform, Oracle will tell you that they
don't provide support for those platforms. It's up to you.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

"Not supported" doesn't mean "it doesn't work"
It just means "I haven't had the time or people to test it"

Of course, if you ever encounter any issue on an
unsupported platform, Oracle will tell you that they
don't provide support for those platforms. It's up to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. I wish Oracle would differentiate between "This will probably work but we're not going to support it on calls" and "No way in heck this will work, don't waste your time trying."

I completely agree. That is why I asked the question since there are people on the List (not Adrian) that will read this post and not stop to think about Oracle MTRs until they get into a Production problem situation and get refused by Oracle.

[ QUOTE ]
...what happens next year when you need to install another application on your PC that does not run on XP?...

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think that there will be applications released that do not run on Windows XP ? Right now, Microsofts' OS platform is in disarray. Vista was a nightmare - I don't know a single large company that implemented Vista across the board - and people are "gunshy" so that Windows 7 implementations are very slow.

I'm not talking about home users here - I'm talking about corporate workstations. At every one of my current customers, Windows XP is the "preferred" OS of choice. Therefore, it would be pretty dumb for a company to release an application in the next couple of years that doesn't run on XP.

There is a big curve before Windows 7 becomes as universally accepted as XP is today...

My original comment wasn't meant as predicted fact. It was only intended as a thought provoking possibility regarding being limited to only running XP on workstations. I was trying to help him justify continuing to work on XP Mode with his Infra Manager until he can get a supported TR.

I would agree that vendors will still write versions for XP. On the other hand, I can't imagine companies being able to refuse Windows 7 entirely much longer especially since so many XP programs including JDE (with the proper SP/TR) run so well on the newest hardware in compatibility mode. Why limit your staff? IE9 is a great example. It won't run on XP. While I am sure most websites and thin client apps will run well in both IE8 and IE9 for a while why would you refuse the hardware accelerators and other features that make IE9 so much better?

Why spend IT resources downgrading purchased PCs and laptops? Why deal with lost employee productivity and satisfaction since they are increasingly using Win 7 at home but must revert back to using XP at work?

Given all of that, I think the change over to Win 7 will happen faster than people think in business. An IT insistence on XP at this point is only hindering the company for the future. I am not suggesting a massive cutover. At our company, we are rolling it out as we replace PCs.

Jer

All the new computers come with Win 7 already, but only the E1 team (of four) uses Development Clients on not-so-old XP stations.
PS Currently there's no business justification for an upgrade (just went 8.12 a year and a half ago).
Thank you for the very instructive feedback,

You are welcome. You only need a Tools Release upgrade, not a full JDE upgrade to run the Dev Client on Win 7. As Sebastian said, 8.98.4.2 actually will run 812 on Win7 but it isn't officially supported. Keep an eye out on Oracle MTRs for a 8.98 TR that supports Win 7.

In the meantime, good old XP will do.
Jer

[ QUOTE ]
8.98.4.2 actually will run 812 on Win7 but it isn't officially supported. Keep an eye out on Oracle MTRs for a 8.98 TR that supports Win 7.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually 8.98.4.2 DOES support Windows 7 now. The MTRs were updated a couple days after 8.98.4.2 was released.

Back