Change/Override Edit Rule for Lot Potency (LOTP) on W4108A Form

Zoltan_Gyimesi

Zoltan_Gyimesi

Legendary Poster
Hi List/Forum,

One of our clients recently upgraded from B7321 to XE.
They experienced that there is an Edit Rule (Range: .000 - 100.000) on Lot Potency (LOTP) Data Item. I checked that this Edit Rule already exists in B7331 too.

They have higher values than 100.000 in their upgraded database and need to enter higher values (up to 200.000) after upgrade too.

We haven't no longer access to any B7321 system, so my first question is: Would somebody please confirm that there isn't Edit Rule on LOTP (Lot Potency) Data Item in the Data Dictionary under B7321 or if exists any then what is that rule? Thanks.

The other questions are (I suppose you have guessed them already):
1.) What is the reason of this Edit Rule?
2.) Changing/Overriding the Edit Rule could violate somewhere the original logic of OneWorld?

Any help, information would be kindly appreciated,

Zoltán

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Zoltan_Gyimesi on 11/14/01 10:09 AM.</FONT></P>

Hi Zoltan,

I don't have a lot to offer on this, but a couple of thoughts.

I believe Lot Potency is meant to be a percentage, and therefore in the range of 0 - 100 %.

I'm not sure if changing the edit rule will have any adverse effects, but it would depend on the calculations they are doing for things like combining lots, to end up with the resultant LOTP.
The calculation should be something like:
Lot1 100 Litres LOTP1= 50
Lot2 100 Litres LOTP2=100
gives
LOTP3 = ((VOLUME1*LOTP1/100)+(VOLUME2*LOTP2/100))/(VOLUME1+VOLUME2)*100
= (100 * 50/100) + (100 * 100/100) / (100 + 100) * 100
= (50 + 100) / (200) * 100
= 150 / 200 * 100
= 75

Try that with LOTP1 = 200, gives LOTP3=150. Does this make sense for whatever unit their potency is in?

Basically the maths should work for values higher than 100%, but I would expect it to be hard coded in somewhere (call me a pesimist).

Hope this helps,
David

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I amn't at home on the application site of this issue (you know, I am just a developer). I know that this change what kind of problem could cause but it is almost unpossible to explore it starting from the technical/developer site. I hoped, somebody is experienced on the application site too and have a brand overview on it and can judge this change.

Otherwise a percent value shouldn't be necessarily between 0-100. Imagine how sounds, the income in year 2002 will be the 200 percent of the income in 2001 :)

I think, this issue requires an experienced application consultant with a brand overview on this site, making the change on a test environment and making a hard test. I do not see really other way but will appreciate any further comments in this topic.

Thanks again your reply,

Zoltán

(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

Hi Zoltán,

I take your point about the LOTP being greater than 100 :), but as I said, I thought it is a measure of concentration, so is a percentage by volume. In that case you can't have greater than 100%.

Also, strange to store your company income in the inventory system, expressed as a concentration of last years income :).

Other than that, I would agree with your approach. Everything SHOULD work. But if doesn't, it's likely to do so VERY BADLY.

Good luck,
David

Hi Zoltan,

Today I am at a B7322 client and checked the Edit Rule for LOTP. The Edit rule in their DD is 0-100. (Next Tuesday I will be at a site that is upgrading from B7321 Alpha and will check again).

As far as business logic is concerned a "real" potency can never be over 100% unlike a raise in revenue or budget and as such it doesn't make sense to have potencies over 100% (would make for an interesting drink over 100% alcohol percentage; beats Stroh rum or your "Egerbikaver" (?) any day, although some nice Hungarian Vino to wash down my Lekvaros Saitos (?) wouldn't go astray;-)

Anyway I am digressing..

As far as JDE logic is concerned I am a natural optimist (yeah right) and expect potencies of over 100% to be treated mathematically correct, (after all JDE also allows negative costs and qty on hand etc). But please don't quote me on that.

Did the client have any issues in B7321 where allegedly the edit rule was different or non existent?

Good luck with your issue and will write again on Tuesday.

Rgds,

Sef van den Nieuwelaar
Australia
B732 on NT, XE on NT, B732/A73 on AS400, B733 on NT

Hi Sef,

Thank you very much your answer and waiting excitedly your next on Tuesday. Thanks in advance. Does that Tuesday mean 20th November or the next Tuesday?

Unfortunately I am just a developer not an application consultant, so I do not know how specially do they use Lot Potency in their system. I just wanted to help/explore this issue because this request arrived to me and unfortunately our consultant who worked for them in Logistic is currently unavailable a while.

I do understand that higher value than 100 hasn't too much sense for Lot Potency, but I repeat - I do not know how specially do they use it in their system. On the other hand they have a very special activity, they process / recycle carcase of dead animals. Really!

Waiting for your next reply,

Zoltán
P.S.: Sef, you surpised me with your Hungarian knowledge ;-)
In our Hungarian language:
"Egerbikaver" = Egri bikavér (one of my favorite red wine, meaning is: Egri = a nice location where is made, Bikavér = "Blood of Bull"
"Lekvaros Saitos" = Lekváros Sajtos (I suppose, it is something meal or cookie with jam /lekvár/ and cheese /sajt/)

(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

Hi Zoltan,

As promised I would get back to you on the DD Edit Rule for LOTP in B7321. Well, the edit rule in this version was, as it currently is:
0-100 with display rule 4. Hope this helps in your investigations.

As far as my Hungarian is concerned; I really only know a few words. I even made a mistake with my lekvaros sajtos, because I really meant 'Langos Sajtos' which was one of my favourite snacks when I visited my brother who currently lives in Buda Ors.

Rgds,

Sef van den Nieuwelaar
Australia
B732 on NT, XE on NT, B732/A73 on AS400, B733 on NT

Back