BU/object acct setup

Bgetty

HI All I am sure this topic has been discussed at length.
I have recently started at a manufacturing plant and, of course, do not like the present chart of accounts. We have various business units in the plant, representing the actual area of the plant activity. Within these areas, we have operations, mechanical and electrical activities. The present chart has 1 BU, with operations, mechanical and electrical activities separated by a subsidiary account on some object accounts & some with no sub (end up in operational costs).
My preference would be to separate each BU (area) into 3 BUs. A separate one for operations, mech. and elect. I find that JDE has more online capabilities if you break on BU, rather than object.
I am looking for others in the manufacturing business, with operations/mech/elect departments to give me some ideas on how they have set up there business units and objects? Thanks

We have a lot of logic in our business unit as follows:
CCLLL-DDDDPP where CC is company, and LLL is location, DDDD is department(cost center), and PP is product group. Each segment is brokend out in Cat Code and defined in a UDC table.

Hi Bgetty,
I know I am answering very late still.
What I think is better you go for creation of separate BU rather than using Object account split.
For example you can have BU's like
300001- Bu for Operations
300002- -Bu for Mechanical
300003- Bu for Electrical
or something like this then you dont have to use subsidiary and this help you to understand the profitability business unit wise or say area of business wise.

Regards.

MANDAR

Back