E9.2 The Chaos That is Web Deployment in 9.2.7.1 using P96470W

tiradoj

tiradoj

Well Known Member
Gotta love Oracle's Marketing Machine: they make it all sound SOOOOO simple.

Folks, it is not.

You cannot download and deploy software updates out of the box with 9.2.7.1

You have to create database user ids, create a separate tablespace (Oracle), run a Report to create the tables in the tablespace

And how is a CNC supposed to manage the change control process with a random tablespace (JDUPDATE) floating outside the well establish DV>PY>PD promotion cycle?

Why aren't we deploying updates to DV Central Objects as usual?

Also, be aware, you may have to enable/check several items/settings in E1 Server Manager (jas, jdbj files for example) for web deploy because some might not enabled by default or ready for the web deployment process.

One fun example of this was the requirement for OCM mappings for the JDEP920 environment. Whoa! Where did that come from?

I guess in a way it makes sense but ok where is the FULL documentation on this? Do we need to copy these OCM mappings to server map table too?

I am trying to DEPLOY an ESU via P96470W and OF COURSE it is not working. It is giving me a 'Verify_Package_Deployment" error (see below)

So what happened to the BUILD step in web deployment? Is that not necessary now? if not, which objects and where is it not necessary and when? SMH

What the heck for? What is the value add of this functionality?

Why would a company who already has an established scheduled routine (at some considerable expense of time and money and trial and error) with set hours and dates (like I had with Honeywell) and has "trained" users to be aware of this want to risk disruption to their operations to do all this extra setup because there is SOME (supposedly) ZERO downtime for SOME OBJECTSCOMPONENTS (not all)?

The package deployment process at sites I worked out was never debilitating to a customer's productivity

Yes it is "neat" to be able to deploy a package from the web just not sure the of the VALUE ADD here.

Some customers require 24 hour uptime? Ok which ones? what percentage are JDE customers absolutely have to have 24/7 uptime or will fade into obscurity without it?

Banks? Manufacturing companies? Customers with operations all over the world? Maybe they would be willing to spend the money to configure and thoroughly vet out the process but the rest....not so sure.

What about UDOs and the zip format they are in? Are UDOs supposed to be deployed via Change Assistant? (mine are failing half way through deploy phase saying they cannot find the properties of a UDO or a manifest--the manifest is in the same folder the UDO is in (doh!) ) Through JDEPLAN environment on Deployment Server? via the WEB version P96470W?

Also, I have zip files within zip files for these UDOs. You can deploy zip files via P96470W?

And what about par files? Can't Oracle make up it's mind what compression format it wants to stick with? Right someone will say par is for one purpose zip another

I know the purpose: it is to obscure confuse and complicate. :D

So here's an Oracle link

First off the Software Update Status cool graphic doesn't appear on MY screen (oh yes I am sure SOMETHING ELSE SOMEWHERE has to be set up for that to work- God forbid it works out of the box)

Second this web doc makes the web deploy process seem so peachy keen easy.

Where is the screen shot I get when I try to deploy? :) (see attached)

it says this under that graphic

Note: If the Software Update Status window does not appear, select Software Update Status History from the Layout drop-down menu.

there is no "Software Update Status History" drop down on my screen either (I believe this is a FEATURE which will not show up until you ENABLE the feature security which is NOT setup by default)

I need to get some breakfast before coming back to untangle this mess :)

Attachments

• Deploy Fail Popup.PNG
    Deploy Fail Popup.PNG
    87.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Deploy Fail.PNG
    Deploy Fail.PNG
    153.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Step Before Web Deploy.PNG
    Step Before Web Deploy.PNG
    191.3 KB · Views: 9
This MAYBE should be its own thread but since it is somewhat related to my above rant :D .... CA can be helpful with large ESUs and analyses--two issues here:

1) the Java Applet for Change keeps reverting to 32 bit on certain tasks. The option to remove the entry entirely is grayed out. But not sure why I have to keep DE selecting the 32 bit setting. Would appreciate anyone who has found fix for this

2) Second issue no matter how many different ways I try to configure the AIS screen I am not able to download or download and deploy a multiplatform ESU for web. Anyone got their AIS config to work?

Attachments

• AIS configuration does not allow web download and deploy.PNG
    AIS configuration does not allow web download and deploy.PNG
    349.9 KB · Views: 17
  • No remove capability on Java applet for 32 bit record.PNG
    No remove capability on Java applet for 32 bit record.PNG
    87.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Why does Change Assistant keep reverting to 32 bit JRE.PNG
    Why does Change Assistant keep reverting to 32 bit JRE.PNG
    353.3 KB · Views: 15
  • AIS config TCS.PNG
    AIS config TCS.PNG
    249.5 KB · Views: 18
Gotta love Oracle's Marketing Machine: they make it all sound SOOOOO simple.

Folks, it is not.

You cannot download and deploy software updates out of the box with 9.2.7.1

You have to create database user ids, create a separate tablespace (Oracle), run a Report to create the tables in the tablespace

And how is a CNC supposed to manage the change control process with a random tablespace (JDUPDATE) floating outside the well establish DV>PY>PD promotion cycle?

Why aren't we deploying updates to DV Central Objects as usual?

Also, be aware, you may have to enable/check several items/settings in E1 Server Manager (jas, jdbj files for example) for web deploy because some might not enabled by default or ready for the web deployment process.

One fun example of this was the requirement for OCM mappings for the JDEP920 environment. Whoa! Where did that come from?

I guess in a way it makes sense but ok where is the FULL documentation on this? Do we need to copy these OCM mappings to server map table too?

I am trying to DEPLOY an ESU via P96470W and OF COURSE it is not working. It is giving me a 'Verify_Package_Deployment" error (see below)

So what happened to the BUILD step in web deployment? Is that not necessary now? if not, which objects and where is it not necessary and when? SMH

What the heck for? What is the value add of this functionality?

Why would a company who already has an established scheduled routine (at some considerable expense of time and money and trial and error) with set hours and dates (like I had with Honeywell) and has "trained" users to be aware of this want to risk disruption to their operations to do all this extra setup because there is SOME (supposedly) ZERO downtime for SOME OBJECTSCOMPONENTS (not all)?

The package deployment process at sites I worked out was never debilitating to a customer's productivity

Yes it is "neat" to be able to deploy a package from the web just not sure the of the VALUE ADD here.

Some customers require 24 hour uptime? Ok which ones? what percentage are JDE customers absolutely have to have 24/7 uptime or will fade into obscurity without it?

Banks? Manufacturing companies? Customers with operations all over the world? Maybe they would be willing to spend the money to configure and thoroughly vet out the process but the rest....not so sure.

What about UDOs and the zip format they are in? Are UDOs supposed to be deployed via Change Assistant? (mine are failing half way through deploy phase saying they cannot find the properties of a UDO or a manifest--the manifest is in the same folder the UDO is in (doh!) ) Through JDEPLAN environment on Deployment Server? via the WEB version P96470W?

Also, I have zip files within zip files for these UDOs. You can deploy zip files via P96470W?

And what about par files? Can't Oracle make up it's mind what compression format it wants to stick with? Right someone will say par is for one purpose zip another

I know the purpose: it is to obscure confuse and complicate. :D

So here's an Oracle link

First off the Software Update Status cool graphic doesn't appear on MY screen (oh yes I am sure SOMETHING ELSE SOMEWHERE has to be set up for that to work- God forbid it works out of the box)

Second this web doc makes the web deploy process seem so peachy keen easy.

Where is the screen shot I get when I try to deploy? :) (see attached)

it says this under that graphic

Note: If the Software Update Status window does not appear, select Software Update Status History from the Layout drop-down menu.

there is no "Software Update Status History" drop down on my screen either (I believe this is a FEATURE which will not show up until you ENABLE the feature security which is NOT setup by default)

I need to get some breakfast before coming back to untangle this mess :)
This is supposedly the FIRST step to get web deploy to work---to deploy this UDO....but how?

UDO for Web ESU Deploy
Type: EnterpriseOne User Defined Objects
Name: UDO_9.2_10502

I am answering my own question :)

According to Oracle

With Change Assistant 4.0.0.5 or later, you can deploy the UDO packages as you would any other ESU.
By the way I have CA 4.2.7.0

Let's keep learning, shall we? lol

So per CURRENT Oracle instructions I have to install (essentially) 253 fixes/software updates in order to use UDOs (ha ha ha ha)

and this is simple? (by the way I have to DE select all the multiplatform because of my AIS config so yeah why do I want to use CA for this?
But I need to because there are too many to do one at a time. So how do I get web deploy to work if I can't install all required components?

What a complete mess.

From Oracle
The steps you need to follow are:

1.Identify the UDO Package you desire to download from Change Assistant:

• Access the UX One Cross Reference spreadsheet attached to knowledge document E1: E1PAGE: UX One E1 Page/Object Cross Reference for All Delivered Roles (Doc ID 2227250.1).
  • Go to the UX One Components tab and search for objects you would like to install. The easiest way is to identify the bug numbers for the objects needed (Bug column).
  • Go to the Update Center and search for the bug(s)
  • Make note of the UDO name
2. On deployment server, open Change Assistant (please make sure you have the latest version)

3. Expand Search For Packages, 9.2, and select query UX One. This will provide you with all the ESUs, UDO packages and data packs for UX One.

4. Select one or more of the items in the results by clicking on the checkbox next to each result.

5. Click the down arrow next to the Download icon and from the fly out menu select Download To and Deploy, and then select a folder in which to download the items:

I have to get AIS config working first or CA is useless and I can't move forward with web deploy (shrug)

I am about to give up on using Change Assistant for Web Deployment - such trash. This little application while always full of promise never quite arrives. Sensitive as hell. Always crashing for one reason or another. The Java Applet constantly reverting to 32 bit and the AIS connection not working when I have verified basic authentication into my AIS server....just so frustrating and disappointing.

This is what it says in CA log: (nothing in Oracle on it of course)

Calling the AIS Discovery service: http://robin.attlocal.net:94/jderest/discover
Successfully called the AIS Discovery service: http://robin.attlocal.net:94/jderest/discover
The required API do not exist in the Discovery service:http://robin.attlocal.net:94/jderest/discover
AIS Connection is not active.

Update Center Available: true
Deploy of Electronic Software Updates as a Multi-platform package is not supported
Please download with AIS/REST connection and use Work With Software Updates web (P96470W)
Calling the AIS Discovery service: http://robin.attlocal.net:94/jderest/discover
Successfully called the AIS Discovery service: http://robin.attlocal.net:94/jderest/discover
The required API do not exist in the Discovery service:http://robin.attlocal.net:94/jderest/discover
AIS Connection is not active.

Ok I am KILLING IT!....this is how it's done with UDOs folks. I am going to save ya'll 10 hours (at least) of work and research.

1. First you use OMW - web (P98220W) to import the UDO file (UDO_9.2_10502) which is zipped
(download the UDO from updatecenter.oracle.com - Change Assistant was being too much of a pain)
OMW - web has the ability to unzip the file and will be place in 11 status in DV920 (where it should be)
2. After the UDO is installed in OMW go to P98220U and pull up the UDO in the OMW field by putting UDO number in
3. Select all the objects
4. Approve / Share the UDO objects and it will update the object status from 07 to 08
5. Then go into VIEW SECURITY from FORM menu and add security records for the various UDO object types (I sent most of mine to *PUBLIC
because it is a TEST instance and I want to see what's all available with any hassles)
6.Then you have to clear database security cache for your web instance (so Oracle doc says) but I had to log out and back into
to HTML client to see these beautiful awesome UDOs. :D

I am still unsure of the web deploy setup/process but I will keep plugging away with that. At least I have the cool Software Update Status
graph showing on my screen how far along installed my ESUs are LOL -- and I feel justified making comments on these sales videos on Youtube that show a cool screen with all the bells and whistles but don't advise JDE community that the product doesn't come that way out of the box!

It is important to know that it takes a CNC person to slog through the reams of Oracle docs or simple trial and error to see what it takes to
get the screen to look as pretty as it does on the DEMOS.

Attachments

• Cool CNC type stuff by Joe Tirado CNC.PNG
    Cool CNC type stuff by Joe Tirado CNC.PNG
    208.3 KB · Views: 25
  • All the objects within 10502 UDO within work with user defined objects after approved.PNG
    All the objects within 10502 UDO within work with user defined objects after approved.PNG
    180.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Import UDO zip file into OMW web which can unzip it and put in system then go to P98220U.PNG
    Import UDO zip file into OMW web which can unzip it and put in system then go to P98220U.PNG
    134 KB · Views: 23
  • Joey is Crushing it Software Update Status appears now.PNG
    Joey is Crushing it Software Update Status appears now.PNG
    171.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Setting up View Security for Software Update Status History 2nd step.PNG
    Setting up View Security for Software Update Status History 2nd step.PNG
    103.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
You can remove the web ESU's from CHA by adding CLIENT I think to your filter. Else, this is how UDO's work, welcome to the magic.

You can remove the web ESU's from CHA by adding CLIENT I think to your filter. Else, this is how UDO's work, welcome to the magic.
yes I am aware but that's not what I wanted to do with CA, I wanted to be able to install any and multiple ESUs all in one go instead of one at a time. This issue is the AIS config not working and allowing me to do so.

Last edited:
You can't install all ESU's all in one go with web ESU yet, they're apparently working on it. You can, however, do it just fine from CHA without the AIS connection the old fashioned way by having a batch without the _web int he batch. Sorry I misunderstood.

You can't install all ESU's all in one go with web ESU yet, they're apparently working on it. You can, however, do it just fine from CHA without the AIS connection the old fashioned way by having a batch without the _web int he batch. Sorry I misunderstood.
No worries. I am trying to use their Web Deploy function that Oracle markets so if it is a bug, then I feel better about it. :) I don't have access anymore to Update Center unfortunately. I was cut off last night. :-0! Thinking of a way to get access to it again.

So back to the issue of not being able to Deploy an ESU from P96470W (the html client)

The reason is/was....ready for it? (As I suspected)

An NER BSFN was mapped in OCM to run LOCALLY - now I didn't do this of course, this is out of the box.

Maybe in a NON "J" (non WAN) environment - running a deployment from the Deployment Server Windows client for example
might require a LOCAL mapping but apparently not in a J environment - to wit JDV920

So I went into OCM and disabled this N9600490 mapping in the System - 920 data source.

There are 729 BSFNS mapped to run LOCALLY in JDV920 OCM so I suspect I will have to be disabling (changing active status to non active) for other BSFNs going forward

Is this in the "Known Issues" Doc for 9.2? Doubt it but I lost access to My Oracle Support so I can't verify.

So now I can initiate and begin the Deploy process but it hangs a few steps in because IT SEEMS not all the form specs for app P96470W are available to process (see below) so I am going to try a full pkg build to see if that will fix this plus I just want to make sure I am getting clean builds.

21 Mar 2023 20:25:35,805 [WARN ] JTIRADO - [RUNTIME] *ERROR* CallObject@2dd45463: CallObject.getRemoteEnv(): The function 'Verify_Deployment_Package' in module 'N9600490' is configured to run LOCAL. LOCAL is not supported. user:JTIRADO Env:JDV920
21 Mar 2023 20:25:35,806 [WARN ] JTIRADO - [RUNTIME] *ERROR* CallObject@2dd45463: CallObject.getRemoteEnv(): Change OCM setting to run module 'N9600490' on a server user:JTIRADO Env:JDV920
21 Mar 2023 20:25:35,816 [WARN ] JTIRADO - [RUNTIME] *ERROR* CallObject@2dd45463: CallObject.getRemoteEnv(): The function 'Verify_Deployment_Package' in module 'N9600490' is configured to run LOCAL. LOCAL is not supported. user:JTIRADO Env:JDV920
21 Mar 2023 20:25:35,816 [WARN ] JTIRADO - [RUNTIME] *ERROR* CallObject@2dd45463: CallObject.getRemoteEnv(): Change OCM setting to run module 'N9600490' on a server user:JTIRADO Env:JDV920
21 Mar 2023 20:25:38,143 [SEVERE] JTIRADO - [NET] Unable to connect to 'LOCAL:6017'. com.jdedwards.system.net.JdeNetHostException: Unknown Host: LOCAL

New current issue with Deploying from the web
21 Mar 2023 21:33:05,259 [WARN ] JTIRADO - [RUNTIME] VTForm.lookupProductCodeByFormId(): Can not load product code: W96470XA
21 Mar 2023 21:33:05,303 [WARN ] JTIRADO - [RUNTIME] VTForm.lookupProductCodeByFormId(): Can not load product code: W96470WC
21 Mar 2023 21:33:05,304 [WARN ] JTIRADO - [RUNTIME] VTForm.lookupProductCodeByFormId(): Can not load product code: W96470WC
21 Mar 2023 21:33:06,673 [WARN ] JTIRADO - [RUNTIME] VTForm.lookupProductCodeByFormId(): Can not load product code: W980042TA
21 Mar 2023 21:33:06,682 [WARN ] JTIRADO - [RUNTIME] VTForm.lookupProductCodeByFormId(): Can not load product code: W980042TA
21 Mar 2023 21:33:06,792 [WARN ] JTIRADO - [RUNTIME] VTForm.lookupProductCodeByFormId(): Can not load product code: W98911XD

Ah yes the exciting life of a CNC person....:p

Web deployment can be a complex process involving various factors such as server configurations, network settings, security protocols, etc. It's essential to have a solid understanding of these elements to ensure a successful web deployment process. With more information about the specific challenges you're facing with web deployment in 9.2.7.1 using P96470W, it's easier to provide a definitive answer.

Back