"Missing prerequisites" Error installing WAS 5 ND fp2

WinPrice

WinPrice

\"Missing prerequisites\" Error installing WAS 5 ND fp2

When I go to install Network Deployment FP2 on my WAS5 install, I get this error:

Missing Prerequisites

"The fixpack cannot be applied to the currently selected product because of missing prereqquisites. Please check your support documentation to determine what prerequisites are required."

Are there any errors logs that can tell me where to check? I am up to date on all prerequisites. The strange thing is that I am doing this on two machines that were installed from an image, and am going through the exact same process on both. One works, one doesn't. WAS 5.0.2 Base is already installed.

Re: \"Missing prerequisites\" Error installing WAS 5 ND fp2

IBM's fix implementation methodology is more screwed up than a football bat.

What you are experiencing is an issue where you may not have followed the *exact* procedure necessary to install and patch.

Here is the order to install and patch IBM WebSphere:

Base->Restart->FixPak->Restart->CumulativeFix->Restart->
Network->Restart->->FixPak->Restart->CumulativeFix->Restart->
Enterprise->Restart->FixPak->Restart->CumulativeFix->Restart->

The last time I saw this message I found, after considerable digging, that someone had tried to install 5.1 and at some point just deleted the directories (this was on a Sun machine).

Very messy cleanup. Had to run "pgkinfo | grep WAS" to locate some packages that hadn't been removed and found a few others that I had to guess at. A Windows machine would require similar digging in the registry. Once I had cleaned up all the packages 5.0.2 installed without a problem. Of course, the fixpack needs to be for that specific version, or you might also get that message.

A VERY good site for information on uninstalling, either properly or manually, is:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v5r1//index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.websphere.base.doc/info/aes/ae/tins_uninstall.html

-MEW

Thanks! I will try that process now.

I would love to follow the exact procedure, but the main problem with that is finding them. I have never seen any official documentation indicating a reboot is necessary on the intel platform.

Success! I was getting to the point of nitpicking every aspect of the install, so I went back to check the size of the fix packs and cum fixes vs. what was on the IBM site. I found that the ND FP2 I had wasn't the full size, so I downloaded it again and this time it went through without giving the "missing prerequisites" error.

NOTE to IBM: How about a bit of logging here to tell us what is missing?

Hi,

There are WAS install logs on your %TEMP% folder.
You'll fund a bunch of .LOG files there.
On Windows, your %TEMP% is located on
C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Local Settings\Temp

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

There are WAS install logs on your %TEMP% folder.
You'll fund a bunch of .LOG files there.
On Windows, your %TEMP% is located on
C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Local Settings\Temp

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Sebastian. I had checked several logs, but the problem was that I don't think that stop was flagged in the logs. If I see this in the future, I will check there, but for now, I am moving forward.

Hmmm... I've never installed the ND part of WebSphere, but I've done plenty of WebSphere installs. I've been installing 5.0.2.6 (cume 6). I never reboot in between, and this is the order I do it:

Base
Enterprise
Base Fixpack
Enterprise Fixpack
Base Cume
Enterprise Cume

And if you have the Windows 5.0.2 WebSphere CD, it includes the fixpack. Which makes it even easier!

If I recall correctly there is a fix for installing on a Sun server that I had to download. I had to copy the CD to a directory on the server, apply the patch, and install from that directory.

Andrew

Back