OMW Projects impact on server

kohee22

Hello,

I am currently involved in JDE 9.0 implementation in Jakarta, I have a question regarding the OMW project. our current practice is create a project for a developer to contains all his/her add-ons. but we're thinking to change this approach. If we create a project for each add-on, we will expect to have lots of project created in the OMW. Some even suggest to create a project everytime there is a new package needs to be built & deployed.
What I'd like to know is if the number of OMW projects have a certain impact on server performance?

thanks in advance
smile.gif

The number of OMW projects does NOT have an impact on server performance.
It is our "best practice" to create a project (say ChangeRequest_2011-0248) for every change request.
We even create additional projects (i.e. CR_2011-0248A) for individual objects modification, as they go through the Develop->Test->Decline->Deveop->Test...->Approve cycle.

kohee22,

We do much as Adrian has outlined. One OMW Project for each ... er ... project (
smile.gif
). On rare occaisions, we do use more than one OMW Project for large development projects.

No performance issue at all, you can delete the project which you have done may be after one year or so

Thanks

Hi all,

thanks for the inputs.
like I mentioned before we usually have a single project for a developer. so sometimes it becomes a challenge to organize objects.
one time we came on a case where projects can no longer be created and the system administrator said that it is caused by the limitation of memory/harddisk (I forgot which one), so he suggest us to limit our projects during a development.

best regards,
kohee22

Hi,

There's no practical limitation to the number and size
of OMW projects you can have, unless your System - 900
database is stored on a 3.5" floppy.

Hi,

Sebastian wrote:
[ QUOTE ]
...unless your System - 900
database is stored on a 3.5" floppy.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about Single Sided Simple Density 8" flopies?
cool.gif

On my side, I always open new project or projects for new issues, mainly for complex enhancemet or development. Leading with the same "semi identifier" and trailing it with "_OBJ", "_UDC", "_VER", _MENU" or "_UOR", because they are differently promoted in OMW.
My other habit - I dived the affected objects into different projects - as already existing (custom or vanilla)objects and another for new "objects".

Further, when I have to do modification on a development, the I do not open back to 21status the original project, but I open a new project for this, just for the affected object(s)- using a naming convention.

Further all LOG is enabled in OMW!

This make for us a good tracking and info for Pack Builds and suspection back of history.

I really not afraid of server disk space and CPU proc time about this OMW Entries - just think about the Ledger Tables counts & Size like F0911 and F0411.

This were my 2 Hungarian Fillér (OK we already do not have Fillér /partion of our HUF/ and our smalest money is 5 HUF currently.

Regards,

Zoltán

...I really wanted to wirte F4111 Item Ledger instead of F0411 Account Payable Ledger, but can I can mention also F03B11 Customer Ledger too.
Regards,
Zoltán

How would you handle all the objects located in peoples default projects. I just noticed that there are hundreds of versions and UDC's in peoples default Projects.
Is there a best practice for this?

Thanks
Martin Ravenshorst

Back