E9.0 Turning off SQLPKGs

WinPrice

WinPrice

For EnterpriseOne 9.0, I have a customer that I am in the planning stage for running a test on to determine the performance impact of turning off SQLPKG use by E1. This particular customer has no end of issues with SQLPKGs. They have a lot of outside connections into the AS/400, so I suspect one of these other connections is creating SQL statements that are going into the SQLPKGs in a format that E1 has problems with, resulting in SQLPKGs needing to be deleted on a frequent basis. Not a great solution if this needs to be done in the middle of the day during the week.

For fat clients (including DSI, which this customer uses), you can turn these off in each ODBC configured to connect to the AS/400 for JDE Data Sources by unchecking the box "Enable extended/dynamic package support), according to Doc ID: 1525639.1)

For web client connections, you will need to comment out the as400PackageLibrary=QRECOVERY line from the JDBJ.ini file under [JDBj-RUNTIME PROPERTIES] section. From what I read on Doc ID: 2588441.1, if this doesn't work, you will also need to turn of SQL caching by setting as400ExtendedDynamic=false in JDBJ.ini under the [JDBj-RUNTIME PROPERTIES] section. I plan to just do both.

The last piece I need is whether you can turn of SQLPKG use on the AS/400 itself, as when UBEs are launched on the server, or when processes running locally on the AS/400 are using SQLPKGs to query/update/delete data from the database there. For kernels, UBEs, and TCs, the "SQL PACKAGE LIBRARY" setting is set to 1, but I do not believe there is a way to turn these off completely, so we can gather data on this piece during our test. Are any of you aware of a way to do this?

The extended dynamic = false will dsiable them for sure for jdbc. On the iSeries itself, If you set sql package library to 2, it's supposed to create a T package for every UBE run, and sqlpkg for each kernel. Technically, you can kill off the T's whenever as they're only good for that run. Not sure if that helps any, but its easier to clean up then the type 1's (R* PKGS). To be honest, Im not sure if you can disable them completely on the iseries itself. To be even more honest - I am so exhausted by supporting the iSeries. I have clients left with these huge boxes and no operator with the expectation that I'm just as smart as the guy who retired in 2005 who bled blue. They refuse to change platforms because that same guy wrote an RPG program in 1996 that does exactly what the former head of Manufacturing requested. She retired in 2001, but the 3rd generation of replacement is sure they still need that report... and I've gone on a rant.

The extended dynamic = false will dsiable them for sure for jdbc. On the iSeries itself, If you set sql package library to 2, it's supposed to create a T package for every UBE run, and sqlpkg for each kernel. Technically, you can kill off the T's whenever as they're only good for that run. Not sure if that helps any, but its easier to clean up then the type 1's (R* PKGS). To be honest, Im not sure if you can disable them completely on the iseries itself. To be even more honest - I am so exhausted by supporting the iSeries. I have clients left with these huge boxes and no operator with the expectation that I'm just as smart as the guy who retired in 2005 who bled blue. They refuse to change platforms because that same guy wrote an RPG program in 1996 that does exactly what the former head of Manufacturing requested. She retired in 2001, but the 3rd generation of replacement is sure they still need that report... and I've gone on a rant.
What percentage of JDE customers are old-versioned and on-prem for these very reasons?

Too many...and don't get me started on the "We have World and want to do a like for like upgrade with 0 changes noticed by our clients to 9.2 Release 23 in the next 6 months just to hold us over until we can start our big SAP project. Also, can we replace RPG with Orchestartor and does Oracle give a tool for that?" requests. Sorry to derail :)

I feel your pain! There are still good AS/400 admins out there. PM me if you are looking for someone that has this skillset. I know a guy that does contract work and has been a good resource for me.

Back