Migrating SQL 2000 to SQL 2005

jdecncuser

Hi All,
since the SUPPORT FOR SQL SERVER 2000 DATABASE WILL END APRIL 2008, customer wants to move to SQL 2005. what are the steps involve, in doing it. There are 3 instances of DB for 3 Language's. so how do we do it? kinldy help me out.
thanks,
yogesh

[ QUOTE ]
Reged: 04/17/06

[/ QUOTE ]
Some may not like it, but I have to ask this: is it true you registered two years ago, Yogesh? Why?
There are only two steps involved here:
- read the documentation, the archives, and show us your plan, OR
- hire a consultant.
Warm regards,

[ QUOTE ]
....SQL SERVER 2000 to SQL 2005...what are the steps involve

[/ QUOTE ]

You ARE kidding - aren't you ? I mean, I don't want to sound harsh - but I believe a deaf pekingese poodle with only one leg might actually be able to do this. Just insert the SQL 2005 CD into the database server drive and follow instructions.

Yogesh, Can I ask you a question please -
End by Microsoft not to support SQL server 2000, or end by Oracle not to support E1 running on SQL server 2000 database?
Thanks

[ QUOTE ]

....but I believe a deaf pekingese poodle with only one leg might actually be able to do this. Just insert the SQL 2005 CD into the database server drive and follow instructions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jon, lol! great quote. You owe me a new keyboard, I spewed my coffee on this one.

While the deaf pekingese poodle is at it, they also might want to take the time to update the ODBC drivers to the SQL native client. They may also want to update the deployment server to reflect that change. We have upgraded a couple of databases from SQL 2000 to 2005, that has gone well. We will be trying out that process for JDE XE next week on a test platform. Later, that test platform will upgrade to 8.12. Should be fun.

Gregg

I started to type "one-legged blind alsation" - but then my spellchecker identified the fact I didn't know how to spell "alsation" (and didn't actually identify a reasonable replacement) - together with the fact that a blind one wouldn't actually be able to follow the prompts unless they had a braille keyboard. Not sure if there are many one-legged blind alsations who know how to read braille. I only know of blind one-legged golden Labradors who might know how to read a braille keyboard.

So, instead, my anthropomorphism turned into a pug faced, one legged deaf pekingese poodle. Its incredible how my mind works sometimes. I really should get back onto the medication.

As an aside, however, instead of upgrading SQL, he decided instead help clean my screen :

http://www.chunkysalsa.net/screenclean.swf

Hi,

to answer your questions.....
1. JDE - Release : XE, Tools release: SP18 (Will upg to SP23 soon)
2. yes, 3 PD - DB for 3 Lang (English,Japanese and Chinese)

Also I wanted to know whetaher to Upgrade the existing DB or to migrate(moving to a new H/W with old data,with all 3 Instances and making it go-live), which will be the best way?
I actually wanted to know the best way of doing it? and not the steps. sorry for posting incorrectly.

thanks....

Hi Yogesh,

1. What is your JDE release and tools level?
2. What do you mean by three languages???
Do you have three databases JDE_PRODUCTION1,
JDE_PRODUCTION2 and JDE_PRODUCTION3 for (let's say)
English, Mandarin and Russian?

--------------------
Sebastian Sajaroff
CNC - Windows-SQL & iSeries

Hi,

First of all, you need to upgrade to latest SP23, it will
you provide you SQL 2005 support. SP18 is too old.
Finally, I agree with Greg : if the hardware is too old,
you should use this SQL upgrade as an excuse to migrate
to a new server.

Hmmm someone sounds a tad arrogant about upgrading SQL to 2005. One cannot assume ANYTHING about JDE or how SUPPOSEDLY simple doing ANYTHING in JDE is. Whoever tells you it is "easy" to upgrade any major component/aspect of JDE is lying to you straight out OR is conveniently forgetting the devil in the details. Typical behavior for some as has been my experience over last 10 years.

I just finished doing a Collab portal install for 89623 which was "supposed" to be easy but it was a pain in the arse-especially with documentation that was out of date.
:)

Joe Tirado
Senior CNC Consultant
Houston Texas

Joe

Did you read the entire thread ? Or did you just want to comment on a specific excerpt out of context ?

The original request was one of those typical "I new to IT how do I do stuff" type questions. Don't EVER expect a real answer to be hiding in those kind of threads as policy !

I wanted to check a few things,
we are on 2000 SQL for prod and DEV. And yes I know I need to migrate.

I am currently working on tools release 8.96.2.3 with the impression taht 8.96.2 was required for 2005? Is this a correct assumption or are previous version compatible?

next question, I will go review the install document but is there alot of overhead to the update instructions if your instance is a passive/active cluster? The upgrade itself sounds easy based on your comments.

last, will the 2000 odbc drivers work on SQL 2005 in the chance I miss one or do I have to dodillagence to validate the switchover for all? The one that is comming up right now is the Egenerator 5.2 seems to use ODBC 2000, is there a version already setup with 2005 drivers or do I have to mode it? Similar to the setup instrcution on the JAS server how to mod it from 2000 to 2005 drivers.

Back