E9.2 JDE 9.1 upgrade to JDE 9.2

toky701202

Hi,

Plan to upgrade customer JDE 9.1 Tools 9.1.5.3 to JDE 9.2 Tools 9.2.7.3 (64-bit)
Would appreciate if anyone have knowledge on upgrading a customer JDE 9.1 to JDE 9.2 (64-bit). A complete upgrade/install in a glance.
I would like to use Simplified upgrade but do not know at what point to use it.

Also this is a migration out from IBM i System (Enterprise Server + Database IBM DB2 - JDE 9.1) to Linux /Oracle DB (JDE 9.2 Tools 9.2.7.3).
Is there good data migration strategy for IBM DB2 data to Oracle DB (19c) before performing Simplified Upgrade.

Regards,
Toky

Okay, so that's a pretty big one, even for a small installation and an "at a glance" is almost impossible as there's too many variables here.

Let's get to the three big ones to consider the most here:
1. state of modifications/modified objects
How modified is your customer? Going from 9.1 to 9.2 (i suppose latest?) will bring lots and lots of objects, obviously, so there will be a lot of retrofitting and testing.

2. OS/Infrastructure specific interfaces, scripts, schedulers etc. pp.
Especially on IBMi i've seen a lot of customers with a bunch of CL scripts, or have their jobs scheduled on the IBMi and so on. If you're leaving the platform, you have to have a plan for that. Database interfaces need to be ported from DB2 to Oracle as well.

3. 32-Bit vs. 64-Bit - any third party software?
Is there any third party software running inside or on top of their JDE installation? Make sure they can work with 64-Bit. Coming from 9.1 they might still rely on old software that's maybe not even available anymore.

Depending on all that and the customer's priority, it might be reasonable to split up the project to lessen the risk.

Maybe start with this DocID:
Upgrade Advisor: JD Edwards (JDE) EnterpriseOne 9.2 (Doc ID 2320843.2)

An interesting thread on these forums about Simplified Upgrade - i don't think much has changed.

Keep in mind that if you wan't to switch the infrastructure as well, so the whole point of doing an upgrade in-place is sort of useless to you.

We've planned to do data-only upgrade for Business Data & Control Tables from JDE 9.1 Tools 9.1.5.3 to JDE 9.2 Tools 9.2.8.1 (latest).

Here are the tasks we'll go through:

1) Install JDE 9.2GA (Tools 9.2.0.0).
Setup Dep Server, Enterprise Server and Database Server

2) Upgrade Dep Server & Enterprise Server to Tools 9.2.5.1 (32-bit)
* This to make sure the Tools upgrade works perfectly on a 32-bit Tools instead taking a direct plunge to Tools 9.2.8.1 due to its technology change.
- apply Planner ESU 32-bit
- installation planner, and workbenches
- full client/server package and deploy to server only*

3) Upgrade Dep Server & Enterprise Server to Tools 9.2.8.1 (64-bit):
- apply Planner ESU 64-bit
- perform 64-bit conversion
- apply Update 8
- apply all Baseline ESUs
- apply all dependency ESUs, roll-out ESUs etc.
- apply ASI, UDOs that are needed.
- create those HTML, AIS, ADF servers that are needed.

After 3), plan to create a custom environment which shared objects to one default environment (PY920).
Run R98403 from JDE 9.1 to copy Business Data & Control Tables on JDE 9.1 to new JDE 9.2 database for the custom environment (eg. [email protected] to [email protected] & [email protected] to [email protected]).
After the data copy will prepare for the data-only upgrade.

Would like to know how to proceed for the data-only upgrade (what are the steps), and also whether the same custom environment can be re-use for few rounds of data copy and data-only upgrade for testing purpose.

REgards,
Toky

What happened to the part of the infrastructure change? Is that new installation you're planning on Linux + Oracle DB or still on IBMi?
The steps you mentioned, are they based on your data, control tables, pathcodes etc. or is that a clean install? Especially Step 2, where you run the Workbenches.

Other than that, sounds good. Splitting up into 32-Bit latest first, then 64-Bit is something i would've recommended as well.

PS: Step 2: Update to 9.2.5.6 or whatever is latest :)

Back