Windows 2008 R2 SP1 frustrations.....

altquark

altquark

Legendary Poster
Hi board.

I'm in the midst of updating TR8.98.4.3 on a windows server, and when trying to run jdesnet -i I'm receiving the following error :

[ QUOTE ]

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reference to this I can find is in the System Administration Guide for Servers, where it talks about the Microsoft VC redistributable. But its late, and frustrating, trying to trace a specific VC issue with the tools release.

So, does anyone know how to resolve this ?

Jon,

I've seen that error before - but unrelated to JDE. It was on a friends laptop running either windows vista home or windows 7 home (most likely windows 7). It occured when I was trying to install a program. The problem was that the program had been installed before, but it did not install properly or was not properly removed. I did a clean-up and made sure there was nothing left on the laptop from an previous install attempts and installed again - this time successfully.

I hope this experience gives you a direction to hunt. All the best for sorting this one out.

Hello,

After a quick search on google I've found this link http://www.codeproject.com/KB/winsdk/sidebysideerror.aspx which explains a lot of this error, I guess you've fund it too but I'm posting it here so others can pitch in with suggestions.

Other users on the web who encountered this kind of behavior said that a reboot fixed there problem, I know your's is a server and a restart is not a day to day thing but you should try it.

Cheers,
Alex.

I saw that, and had already tried restarting the box. No luck. Its very, very frustrating. If I put the old "system" back - everything is fine, but when I place the newly downloaded 'system' for 8.98.4.3 - I get this issue. I know it has something to do with the fact it is compiled using an older VC - but how to fix it ?!

I know that is frustrating and I don't want to annoy you more, but what does the "windows event" say. Maybe the newer TR is built using a newer VC and the server needs a M$ patch of some sort.

Alex.

just a few thoughts, did you try running the 2005 redistrib on the server and then doing the jdesnet command? Or even try the 2008 redistrib. Are you running the command prompt as administrator?

Jon,

Let me ask the obvious question. Have you tried installing/re-installing the VC redistributable package

[ QUOTE ]
I know that is frustrating and I don't want to annoy you more

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not frustrated or annoyed to that extent !!!! At least not with JDEList - just with how Oracle is delivering their software recently !!!! They certainly don't make our job very easy !

I'll test this out and will update the thread....also going to try getting the output from sxstrace.exe

Hi Jon,
Starting 8.98.4 Visual Studio 2008 runtime libraries need to be installed on Enterprise Server, regardless of which compiler is installed.
So, try to install the MS Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Compiler Redistributable Package (vcredist_x86.exe) on your server and then try to run the jdesnet -i from command prompt.
Also, please verify that you are starting command prompt using "run as Administrator" option.

Regards,
-
Ankur

Take a look at the Enteprise Server MTRs for Windows at the Note under the compiler section:

[ QUOTE ]
Note: Starting 8.98.4 Visual Studio 2008 runtime libraries need to be installed on Enterprise Server, regardless of which compiler is installed. See Table 2

[/ QUOTE ]

Back