Visual C++ Toolkit 2003

• Thread starter brother_of_karamazov
  • Start date

brother_of_karamazov

Legendary Poster
The pre-requisites for 8.11 state:

"Microsoft Visual Studio.Net 2003 is required to be installed on the Deployment Server PRIOR to the installation of the EnterpriseOne 8.11 Deployment Server CDs"

There is a product from Microsoft called Visual C++ Toolkit 2003:

"The Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 includes the core tools developers need to compile and link C++-based applications for Windows and the .NET Common Language Runtime:

* Microsoft C/C++ Optimizing Compiler and Linker. These are the same compiler and linker that ship with Visual Studio .NET 2003 Professional!

* C Runtime Library and the C++ Standard Library, including the Standard Template Library. These are the same static-link libraries included with Visual Studio."

Does anyone else interpret this to mean that the freely downloadable Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 can be used in place of the Visual Studio .NET 2003 Professional?

Has anyone used this tool successfully with 8.11? Has anyone asked about Oracle's support for this instead of Visual Studio .NET 2003 Professional? Has anyone ever wondered how the "do not walk on grass" signs get there?

I will say this - good grief, it is about time. I would interpret this as meaning it is sufficient for the installation and for the busbuild portion of the package build.

We already have the option of just installing C++ as opposed to ALL of Visual Studio for releases prior to 8.11 - this just makes things so much easier (and cheaper!)

That being said - Microsoft will not support you if you choose to use this tool and therefore it is highly unlikely Oracle will support you - but never say never. I think I'm going to give this a try. If I beat someone else to it, I'll post my results to JDEList.

The only thing I don't see is the debugging facilities which make sense. However, debugging is only needed for developers. If we could use this for our build machines, that would save us the expense of purchasing licenses for those machines. I look forward to hearing more on this and am downloading the Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 v1.1 to examine it more closely.

Predictably the answer was this:

"We currently do not support Visual C++ Toolkit 2003. What is stated as a minimum on our MTR page is Visual Studio C++ .NET 2003."

They are going to SAR it so we shall see.

[ QUOTE ]
I will say this - good grief, it is about time. I would interpret this as meaning it is sufficient for the installation and for the busbuild portion of the package build.

We already have the option of just installing C++ as opposed to ALL of Visual Studio for releases prior to 8.11 - this just makes things so much easier (and cheaper!)

That being said - Microsoft will not support you if you choose to use this tool and therefore it is highly unlikely Oracle will support you - but never say never. I think I'm going to give this a try. If I beat someone else to it, I'll post my results to JDEList.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,

After reading this post, i downloaded this toolkit. i wanted to test it on a fat client, to check if it was possible to build dlls.
I installed it, but didn't make this work. Do you know how to set up jde.ini for includes, libs, ... because there are not all the folders you have with the full C++ ?

Rgds,

Hi List,

I had tried the Toolkit 2003, No it Will Not Work.
Why? The BusBuild needs more than the "CL" program, it needs the NMAKE, LINK, etc.
But the toolkit only provide the "CL" program and therefore not able to work.

AS400 V5R3M0, XE SP23L1 Going to 8.11 SP1, TSEs, Fat Client.

CH

Back