E9.2 Using E1 Orchestration to call external .NET code/objects

JohnDanter2

JohnDanter2

VIP Member
Hi guys

If I were to get an E1 orchestration to try and call an external .NET object, what would be the process?

Is it as sinple as getting the .NET to expose something as an API to me or is there more to it than this?

Thanks

John

If you can expose the .NET object as a rest service then yes, you can call it from an orchestration using a Connection and Connector. You can't use a Connection for a SOAP call. There is an enhancement request on Quest for a SOAP Connection.

If you can expose the .NET object as a rest service then yes, you can call it from an orchestration using a Connection and Connector. You can't use a Connection for a SOAP call. There is an enhancement request on Quest for a SOAP Connection.
Hi Ellen, I went to go find this enh req but couldn't find it searching on keyword "soap", do you have the # or link handy? I was going to paste it here and encourage folks who want the soap connectivity to rate it so that oracle sees it's a desired enhancement.

Hi Ellen, I went to go find this enh req but couldn't find it searching on keyword "soap", do you have the # or link handy? I was going to paste it here and encourage folks who want the soap connectivity to rate it so that oracle sees it's a desired enhancement.
Just curious as I'm far from a .NET expert and following Ellen's idea about a REST service. Is it not possible, or quite complicated to create a published REST service in .NET?

thanks
Craig

Just curious as I'm far from a .NET expert and following Ellen's idea about a REST service. Is it not possible, or quite complicated to create a published REST service in .NET?

thanks
Craig
Been years for me, but I remember the default "web service" interface for .net was via soap. It was quite the hot stuff back at the time.

Knowing that Oracle recently is tending towards modern standards (and would de-prioritize support of a "legacy" protocol), the safe play would be to use .NET to surface REST APIs. I'm sure .net devs are doing that now.

I had researched whether we could call a SOAP service earlier this year and I remembered seeing an enhancement request. My memory failed me, because it was an enhancement request in Oracle Support:

Oracle Support Bug 30648181 (ALLOW ORCHESTRATOR TO INVOKE SOAP WEB SERVICES) can be found at: https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/BugDisplay?id=30648181

When I looked today, I couldn't find a corresponding enhancement in Quest to vote on, so I created one: 16678 "ALLOW ORCHESTRATOR TO INVOKE SOAP WEB SERVICES"

thanks
Craig
It's been about a decade since I did anything in Microsoft .NET, but I googled and it looks like you can create both SOAP and REST services these days. I never really developed web services with it, mainly utility class libraries. Sorry I can't help you more with that side of things.

I had researched whether we could call a SOAP service earlier this year and I remembered seeing an enhancement request. My memory failed me, because it was an enhancement request in Oracle Support:

Oracle Support Bug 30648181 (ALLOW ORCHESTRATOR TO INVOKE SOAP WEB SERVICES) can be found at: https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/BugDisplay?id=30648181

When I looked today, I couldn't find a corresponding enhancement in Quest to vote on, so I created one: 16678 "ALLOW ORCHESTRATOR TO INVOKE SOAP WEB SERVICES"
Thanks Ellen!!

Direct link to the Quest Enhancement Req. If you want to vote on it here's how (sneak peek of upcoming tech sig at conference!):

1681753538215.png

My .NET team here say it is easy enough to create a REST API and declare it as a GET or POST etc, so I am happy :)

I guess once it's exposed as REST it doesn't make a difference what the code underneath is written in. But I like the reponses here about maybe using SOAP as well. But it is something we are moving away from so it'll be REST

Back