.txt file to Optio via UBE run on server

MEKINSER

I would like to generate a .txt file running a UBE on an AS/400 server (using database output). Then send this text file to Optio in order to automate emailing this .txt file daily. Does anyone have input on how they accomplsh this?
THank you in advance!

MEK,

There are many ways to sking the Optio Kat!

* Optio can read (if properly configured) files on the iSeries. One of the reasons a former client chose Optio - was it's ability to SQl from the iSeries and email based on the selected addresses.
* I'm currently working on a Flat File FTP process (search on B34A1010 - and you'll see some stuff). You can use the function to write to the IFS - then map the Optio server to read the text file from there.
* The easiest way to create the flat file is via Table Conversions. Though Database Output is not difficult -It's not used that often (and we forget it's available)... many more of us are familiar with TCs. The TC will write a 'flat' file to a Table/Member - but it may be in Unicode. FTP'ing with ASCII will translate from the iSeries

Ok - the rest of you can feed the chowder!

(db)

Is there any specific reason you want to create the text file on the 400.

I would (and have) just create the report as usual, send it to the Optio server and have Optio create the text file. This would be the quickest automation of the job since Optio not only has the abillity to email files, it can also create the file anywhere the server has access to write a file. The file can be any of a numerous types of output including text and pdf.

Ditto what Michael said. Why complicate things with the .txt file?
tongue.gif

Back