E9.2 How to check if an Orchestration is Scheduled and active?

richslaney

richslaney

Hi all,

Happy New Year all.

For my client I've written a new 'Task Scheduler' to run UBE's that has extra functionality such as Day and Time Schedules, Exception Dates and Times, Exception Dates and Times based on Calendars and Audit Logging including Emails for Submission, Exception and also daily Audit Summary Emails. Also have the feature to validate if a file (full name or part file name) exists in a specified folder so interface related UBE's are only kicked off when Data actually exists.

The Task Scheduler is in Power Forms and Subforms and all works nicely with the 'guts' of of the processing being performed in Business Functions.
The Business Functions handle all the validations, and processing and can tasks can be kicked off from the Application itself, or from whatever calls the Business Functions whether that be another Application, Business Function or a Scheduled UBE.

But, the main way the Tasks are executed is by a 'Scheduled Orchestration' that calls the Business Function to kick of the 'Task Processor' and call UBE's as required (after validating Expiration Dates, Status, Dates, Times, Exception Dates and Times etc). This is all working fine, but I have a little improvement I would like to add and this is where my question comes in.

Is there a way I can interrogate the 'Scheduled Orchestration' from my Application to see if it's actively Scheduled / Running?
It would be nice to check this and display a message or icon in the application on entry (and also from a pushbutton) so the user is always aware that the Process Automation Orchestrator is active.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Hi Rich,

There is a scheduler API that you can call. The documentation is here. The easiest way to call the API from your app is to create an orchestration with a connector to call the api from the Local AIS Server. Then you can use B98ORCH to run the orchestration and update your application as required.

Kevin

Hi Rich,

There is a scheduler API that you can call. The documentation is here. The easiest way to call the API from your app is to create an orchestration with a connector to call the api from the Local AIS Server. Then you can use B98ORCH to run the orchestration and update your application as required.

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the reply, I will look into it but have next to no experience with Orchestrator other than very simple stuff.

So, of the API's you recommended via pointing to the Oracle Documentation would you recommend?
I'm basically wanted to pass in the name of the Orchestration and get back it's status to see if it's active and scheduled.
Also, Is there also a way of getting back the date / time of the next time the Orchestration will run?

BTW, I think we've actually spoken on Teams as haven't you been working on Orchestrations for my client in Canada (a large Fire and Security Company)?

Hi Rich,

You are correct, we have spoken before. When I read your post initially, I understood that you were looking to see if the scheduled orchestration was scheduled to run, if it was currently running, and when it would run next. Do I have that right?

The AIS Server schedule service will give you a list of jobs currently running (/jderest/v2/scheduler/listExecuting) and what is scheduled (/jderest/v2/scheduler/list). You would use a REST Connector to call the api, and then use Groovy or JRuby to extract the information you need out of the list of jobs. Another consideration is to ensure you are connecting to an AIS scheduler server. If your environment has multiple AIS servers, they will not normally all have the AIS Scheduler running on them.

Feel free to ping me and we can schedule a quick call to walk through the steps.

Kevin

Hi Rich,

You are correct, we have spoken before. When I read your post initially, I understood that you were looking to see if the scheduled orchestration was scheduled to run, if it was currently running, and when it would run next. Do I have that right?

The AIS Server schedule service will give you a list of jobs currently running (/jderest/v2/scheduler/listExecuting) and what is scheduled (/jderest/v2/scheduler/list). You would use a REST Connector to call the api, and then use Groovy or JRuby to extract the information you need out of the list of jobs. Another consideration is to ensure you are connecting to an AIS scheduler server. If your environment has multiple AIS servers, they will not normally all have the AIS Scheduler running on them.

Feel free to ping me and we can schedule a quick call to walk through the steps.

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

Yes you are correct. I have an application which has an Orchestration which kicks off a process in the background which is scheduled and I thought it would be really nice to have some mechanism of showing the user visually on the Application if the Orchestration is active and it would be great to be able to see the next time it would run.

I will take a look at your suggestion and I will most likely take you up on you offer for a chat as Orchestrations is totally new to me.
Thanks for your reply.

Back