Risk involved in Copy Creating all Standard Customized Applications

sreeni_0001

Currently we are researching on the Risks involved in Copy Creating all standard Customized applications / Reports in the system. This is being analyzed after the conversation with Oracle (Oracle's Suggestion for ESU handling without overriding customization). Can you please pour your suggestion on this activity as your opinions would help us to decide if we should really proceed with this activity, also Can you share how are ESU's being handled in the current system, it may help us with a better approach in handling ESU's.

We have analyzed and come up with few points. Please add your suggestions..

1) UDC SETUPS, RESERVATION SET UP, SCHEDULED JOB, ALL RELATED SETUP
2) CUSTOM REPORTS AND APPLICATION CALLING STANDARD OBJECTS NEEDS TO BE CHANGED
3) Customization BASED ON PROGRAM ID
4) VERSION RECREATION

Why don't you keep all objects in Pristine environment and don't apply ESU to that environment? This way you will have original standard JDE objects in case you need to refer back to.

Thats our current set up .. But the Management and CNC want the ESU's to be installed in DV7333 and just promote to production with no impact. Anyways this copy created Objects needs to be retrofitted and the new suggestion is not going to help us in anyway ... but im in search of some point that will put a full stop to this topic.. Please do help me with some point that will put a full stop to this topic

The usual practice that i've seen everyone do so far is to systematically copy the standard applications to make the customizations.

Now, copying objects has several downsides that you already stated.
In fact, the only upside for it would be, that you should have less concerns when applying the ESU, upgrading the JDE version.

Personally, i have some doubts about the validity of this "practice" of copying objects :
- If you are going to do a lot of heavy modifications, chances are that you would not benefit from the new version (from the ESU/ new JDE version you are applying), as the heavy customizations will probably be better suited to your business needs.
- If you are going to do a small customization, you would easily be able to re-apply them to the new version of modified objects from the ESU/ new JDE version.
- In fact, you're not sparing an analysis of the customized standards involved in the ESU/ new JDE version, because if you really want to benefit from the ESU, you should use the program modified by it, and not the ancient copied version of it, so you are going to have to somehow duplicate the modifications made on the standard towards the custom application.

THen again, my opinion is stricly from a theoretical point of view, because i'm not a CNC and have never witnessed the process of applying an ESU.

See Post 142092 which is one of the several discussions on how / where to apply customizations.

Regarding not updating or applying ESUs to Pristine ...
Pristine should contain only code from Oracle Corp.
ESUs ARE code from Oracle Corp.
Any ESUs that are to be applied to Production should be applied to Pristine also. Why? So you can duplicate Production Issue in Pristine when working with Oracle support and tell them that "Yes Oracle Support - I can duplicate this issue in Pristine with the same ESUs I have in production".

Back