RE: Two fat clients on one machine

W_Herdes

RE: Two fat clients on one machine

Yes you can: via the snapshot.exe program.
It is in the system\bin32-directory. Copy this program first to the root directory. Via this program you can switch between one version and the other (e.g. the standalone and the network-version).

regards,

Walter Herdes

Hi there. Yes, use the snapshot, however it is safer if all versions
to be loaded reside on the same drive. I have had several problems when I had 2 versions on one drive and one on another. This might be just my isolated issue, but I know I had glitches.

Regards,

Greg Norton

Walter,
Could "snapshot.exe" work properly when the diferrent releases use different:
* database SW (e.g. SQL, Oracle)
* version of database SW (e.g. SQL 6.5, 7.0)
* version of ODBC drivers and/or database acces
* version of C++ for development

Do you have any experiences on it?
Do you know anything about it?

Regards,
Zoltán

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

Zoltan,

I have not tried all this. What snapshot does is change the directory where oneworld is residing. E.g. on my machine the directory is normal d:\b7. When you use snapshot and switch between another release this directory becomes for instance d:\b7demo and the directory of the other release becomes d:\b7 (instead of for instance d:\b733owsv1). I think that the system uses the corresponding jde.ini but I'm not sure how the systems deals with it.
Does this give you some more clues?

Walter.

Re: RE: RE: Two fat clients on one machine

Walter,
Thanks for your answer.
I am still affraid that snapshot won't work properly when I want to switch between clients where they differs in many things like RDBMS type and/or relase, OW Release, ODBC version, C++ version, etc.
I have read also promlems about using snapshot on an other thread of this List/Forum.

In the ancient time I had made our "snapshot" which was a bit hard to setup but very easy to use. We have used it up to that time when the different clients (Development) required different C++ version.

Zoltán

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

Back