Primary UOM is other than smallest unit of measure

las_1245

las_1245

Hi List,

For some of our items, primary UOM is CA(Cases) where as smallest unit of measure for these items is EA.Other UOMs like purchasing etc are in EA.This has led to some issues during sales order process like -1>Cancellation of Backorders does not release the soft commit.
2> Sales order quantity is split into two lots in-spite of the qty available in a single lot.

We know that primary UOM should be smallest UOM.But our business process for specific items requires primary UOM in CA.It is usnderstood from Oracle that UOM server is designed with conecpt of primary UOM being smallest unit of measure.And any deviation may lead to conversion rounding problems.

Thus obivious solution looks like customisation or changing UOM(& changing UOM will not be that simple).

I would like to know your views.

Thanks-Las

You need to modify your business processes. There is NO work around. Primary UOM MUST be smallest UOM you work with the item. Now are you aware that you can assign different UOMs to different functions such as Purchasing, Marketing, etc. via the F4101 Item Master?

I have worked with several companies on this in the past. One opted to create a front end program that converted the items into smaller amounts (ounces to grams) as the quantity field ws not large enough to hold the conversions and still allow proper costing. This conversion program was added to all Manufacturing programs that released and ordered materials. This was not required for purchasing or sales order processing as those quantities were always small enough not to exceed the field constraint.

Most clients are able to make the change from the current UOM to the smallest by following these steps;

Setup and inventory adjustment AAI similar to the zero balance adjustments
Setup the conversion for the inventory item
Adjust out the quantity for all branch, location and lots for the item
Change the primary UOM on the item master and set the sales and purchasing UOMs
Adjust in the inventory quantity using the original quantity and price. JDE will perform the correct conversions to the primary UOM.

You may need to review associated open sales and purchasing lines to ensure the primary UOM on the order lines for the item in question is correct. That may require some additional conversion work and updates to the records.

Very Good Mike.

This may work for las_1245 but I can just hear my previous Materials management preferring to adjust the business processes as opposed to tweaking a system work around. I will keep your suggestion in my files should I ever come across a challenge like las_1245's dilemma.

You know...this field restrictions problem case sounds like a perfect candidate for a suggested software enhancement for Oracle. I will also pass this on to the Quest Industrial Manufacturing S.I.G.

Thank you so much.

Back