OW XE db upgrade from 8.1 to 9.2 Can't connect to db

thomasdk

OW XE db upgrade from 8.1 to 9.2 Can\'t connect to db

Hi All
I really need some help here. I apprepriate any pointers you might have.
I have recently upgrade the oracle database from 8.1.7.4 to 9.2. If the jde... user's environment variable ORACLE_HOME points to the 9.2 oracle home, then no database connections from OneWorld are made (net, queues). The database itself is fine. If, on the other hand, the env variable ORACLE_HOME points to the old home (8.1.7.4) it seems to work fine, but we see horrific slowdowns in job performance.

Is there a reason I cannot use the new oracle home (9.2) from the OW Env?

The environment is:
OneWorld Xe , SP23
Enterprise Server, aix 5.2, oracle 9.2
The rest is windows.

Thanks, Thomas

Re: OW XE db upgrade from 8.1 to 9.2 Can\'t connect to db

update
after tracing is enabled, I see the following messages:
38004 Tue Jul 28 16:05:04 2009 cleanup.c109
Initializing Cleanup Program.
Any errors in this log file will not interfere with normal OneWorld Operation.

38004 Tue Jul 28 16:05:04 2009 cleanup.c141
Initializing Environment:pY7333 . . .

38004 Tue Jul 28 16:05:05 2009 dbinitdr.c195
OCI0000041 - Unable to initialize OCI 8 environment handle ORA-01821: date format not recognized

38004 Tue Jul 28 16:05:05 2009 jdb_drvm.c520
JDB9900162 - Failed to initialize db driver for libora81.so

38004 Tue Jul 28 16:05:05 2009 jdb_omp1.c1727
JDB9900254 - Failed to initialize driver.

I am searching for a way to solve this (no luck yet).

best regards

Have you changed your OCI settings under the OneWorld Datasources ? These need to be set to the 9i driver, not the 8i driver.

Secondly, on the enterprise server, did you install the 64bit client or 32bit client ? Remember, OneWorld is requiring the 32bit client...

regarding data sources. I have changed them all (I think) to libora90.so instead of libora81.so, but the result is the same.
Do I have to restart the server? (the one containing the data sources?).

Regarding 32bit/64bit. I don't think there are any choices for aix.

Jon
Thank you very much for your suggestions. I double checked my settings (and subsequently altered them) and it seems to run fine now. I followed both of your suggestions.

Regarding the data sources. I changed all the data sources from this server to libora90.so, instead of only the data sources belonging to this server. (the env is a production server with all the common stuff in it, and a test/crp server). So I changed all the data sources on the test server to use libora90.so. I also setup the logical data source to use libora90.so. It seems to work, and without the performance penalty.

Regarding 32bit vs. 64bit. Oracle has no 32bit release for aix from db version 9.2. There is, however, an ORACLE_HOME/lib32 directory in the oracle_home that I included in the (lib)path.

I have not yet tested which of these changes are absolutely necessary. Right now I'm just pleased that it is working. I will let it rest for a few days so we can test it some more, and then I will apply the changes on the production server.

Thanks very much

First of all, both sets of changes are important - because you need to use the libora90 library AND you need to ensure that the 32bit version of the libraries are being used (as opposed to the 64bit libraries). If you were still using the libora81.so, and you had the lib32 in the path, then it SHOULD connect still - so my guess is that the addition of the lib32 is the most important change in your oracle path. Glad I could have helped - I see this a lot of the time with Unix/Oracle implementations !

Back