LPAR's and World environments

ssolberg

VIP Member
LPAR\'s and World environments

Looking for guidance and "gotchas" with regards to moving to a new iSeries box and using LPAR's. Here is our situation:
We currently have 2 400's that each have multiple environments (production... different companies). We are proposing moving to one "big" new iSeries box to consolidate the 2 boxes into one. We are not currently using any LPAR's on existing boxes so we are still new to this. On the new configuration, we essentially just want to setup a LPAR for the environments that are on Box A and another LPAR for the environments that are on Box B. This allows us to still keep them separate and retain our current setup stuff (like jobq's, subsystems, etc) in each environment without upsetting the boat too much. To the user, it will seem transparent (hopefully). And when it comes to cume updates, I can still upgrade the environments in LPAR 1 to a new cume level (like upcoming 16) and not have to worry about the environments in LPAR 2 until I'm ready up upgrade them, correct? To "us", they will still appear to be "2 iSeries boxes"

I realize that I have some SPC stuff to get corrected via Oracle but is all my thinking correct so far? Does anyone know how the User Licensing follows through? To me the SPC code goes with the User Licensing so it isn't as if I have to "combine" my two sets of user licensing into 1 is it?

I've scoured around the Knowledge Garden and didn't really find anything and hoping someone on the list has already gone down a similar path and can shed some light on anything I might be missing.

Re: LPAR\'s and World environments

Unless things have changed in the past year, the SPC code is tied to the CPU serial #, so when you have one CPU with 2 LPARs, you only need one SPC code. We had unlimited user licensing, so I cannot answer your question about that issue.

I have not worked with 2 different JDE cume levels on the 2 LPARs, but we did have 2 different OS/400 releases on the 2 LPARs. Understanding how the LPARs function is crucial, and so is making sure that the folks in IT who have access to both environments (operators, developers, etc) are *very* careful which LPAR they are signing into if they might be affecting production data. The great thing is the DASD is physically separate, it's a great way to merge two boxes into one and is transparent to your end users.

Sannan -

You need to contact _all_ of your software vendors to find out their policies on running their software on an LPAR'ed box.

IIRC, we had to pay Aldon a license on their ACMS software for each LPAR on which it is installed.

Regards

RE: LPAR\'s and World environments

Sannan,

For the most part, each LPAR acts like its own computer. So even
though you would have one new iSeries box, you still mostly act like you
have two computers. Licensing is usually where you will see differences,
since you only have one serial number now.

John Dickey
JDE Financial Systems Administrator/Analyst
White-Rodgers, division of Emerson Electric
8100 West Florissant, P.O. Box 36922
St. Louis, MO 63136
314-553-3067

Steve,

Its time for you to move to E1.

Regards

Naveed

_____

Behalf Of slandess
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 11:13 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LPAR's and World environments

Sannan -

You need to contact _all_ of your software vendors to find out their
policies on running their software on an LPAR'ed box.

IIRC, we had to pay Aldon a license on their ACMS software for each LPAR on
which it is installed.

Regards

Steve Landess Austin, Texas (512) 423-0935 iSeries i5 V5R3 A7.3 cume 9 EDI,
XML [email protected]

_____

The entire <http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=> JDELIST
thread is available for viewing.

Looking for a job? Check out the Job
forum

This is the JDELIST World Mailing List.
The instructions on how to unsubscribe from any JDELIST mailing list are
available here <http://www.jdelist.com/unsubscr.shtml> .
JDELIST is not affiliated with JDEdwardsR.

Naveed, how could you!!! I will tell your mother to make you wash your
mouth out with soap.

Regards,

Colin

Re: RE: LPAR\'s and World environments

I want Steve to move E1 so no Darn foriegner can take his current job. I am not sure if Steve remember me but we have worked together at a client in Chicago, SK Handtools.

Re: RE: LPAR\'s and World environments

Naveed -
Is this a job offer? <lol>

How could I forget a "foreigner" like you? I have sent you a couple of private messages that you never answered...

I hold no ill will against foreigners, by the way - Only the companies that keep insisting that they can't first find Americans to do a particular job. Nowadays there are lots of out-of-work Americans with the necessary technical skills, but they come at a higher price and typically have more experience. You get what you pay for.

What most angers me is that regardless of their location or nationality, too many people see this list as either their "school" or their primary resource for solving all of their problems. There is a reason that I have posted less than 100 times to JDELIST - If you look at MY postings, you'll see that almost all of them are answers to others' questions (or my rants about how stupid their question is), NOT questions to the list.

Members of JDELIST should first get training from their employer (what a novel concept) or do a little research (as I always do) BEFORE posting a question.

And, as always, they should read and periodically re-read "How To Ask Questions the Smart Way" ( http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html ) FIRST.

This might keep them from posting a stupid question in the first place!

Tell Keith Figgins I said hello!

Regards,

Hi Sannan,
Did you run into any LPAR / SPC code issues? We're buying a new AS/400 as well and will be splitting it into Production and Development LPARs and I was wondering if you had problems getting an SPC code to work on both LPARs. For us, the serial # will be the same for both LPARs, so I'm thinking that the SPC process will be no problem since we already have an SPC generated for the new serial #.
Thanks for any light you can shed... :)

You will be fine with one code for all LPAR's with the same serial#.

Thanks Leith for the info. I figured it was true but wanted to ask from others that may have already gone through this and have an answer. :)

Thanks Sannan as well for the info. I figured it was true but wanted to ask if you had any problems. :)

Back
Top Bottom