JDE EnterpriseOne Release 9.0

Marco Felici

Hello,

The company I work for decided to go from version Xe B7333 to version 9.

Sorry for my trivial questions:

1) I confirmed that the version 9 is in Java?

2) The database can be Microsoft SQL or are forced to switch to Oracle?

3) There are tools that help the transition from Xe to 9?

4) Can someone give me the link of Oracle which describes the technical part of version 9 (I tried but I could find on the Oracle sales brochures only)

5) I want to die.

Thanks to all

Marco

It sounds like you need a consultant to get you started and trained on the basics of the foundations of JDE. I'll answer some of your questions though.

1. The web servers run java in the backend and some of the enterprise server processes run off of java, but the rest of the back end is still the same.

2. E1 is still a multi platform/database environment, so you can run MS SQL, Oracle or DB2 still.

3. JDE includes all the conversion UBEs needed but you will probably have to do some work on your own too for customizations and retrofits.

4. Look at the MTRs and latest Tools Release documentation. You can also download Tools documentation from edelivery.oracle.com.

5. If you think you want to die now just wait until you actually get started.

Only after we used consultants and have been through a World to EnterpriseOne conversion and an Xe Conversion are we able to tackle the upgrade from E811 to E90 in house. There are still several gotchas we are running into though. The guide we used to uprade on the AS400 platform is 560 pages
shocked.gif

Obviously we take the advice of consultants.

Let us understand that there are differences between version X and we know with what the parent says to install.

From what I understand the back end is completely different and so I assume also that the programming is completely different.

I'm downloading the demo right now I do at least version 9 of the idea of a problem.

Excuse my ignorance but I know in JDE Xe version only and are not updated on all the developments made for 10 years now.

Thank you very much

Marco

Buon pomeriggion Marco

yes - things are quite different between Xe to 9.0:

You will be moving from a fat client / terminal server world to a Webserver world.

There are some new security types that didn't exist in XE like Business Unit security and Data Browser security.

The package deploy process is quite different, and how Oracle stores Central Objects is VERY different.

If you are using middleware integration currently, that is quite different with 9.0

Your choices for an OS have expanded to Linux.

The primary databse flavors are SQL and Oracle, but the other flavors are still availible.

VMware is not supported, but works just fine. OVM is the kosher flavor for virtualization.

Websphere, OAS and Weblogic are your choices for the Web layer. Don't bother with OAS, it's a dead horse. I personally like Weblogic best, but Websphere is also quite solid.

Server Manager replaced SAW and is quantum leaps beyond SAW.

CNC knowledge - 85% of what you know is still applicable. Just have to pick up the new webified stuff. The old familiar pieces of the application are still there, just updated. Ditto for development.

If you are a glutton for punishment, you can try updating to 9.0 and switching your entire platform like we did. That would ratchet up your "I wanna Die" scale to a 10 out of 10. Make sure they spring for some consultants for the installation and conversion. Otherwise you are in for a bumpy road.

- Gregg

To add to Greg:

Developer Knowledge - 100% of what you knew in XE is transferable... Then you get to learn the new stuff (Powerforms, for example, are really awesome!)

(db)

Back