E9.2 Considering switching career from JDE

sam123

Guys,

I m sorry for using this thread to post this question. I could not think of any other place. Just trying to get perspective and any inputs is greatly appreciated.

I have been in JDE since 2004 and have mostly worked in technical side. Although I have handled and led procurement and shop floor projects as well. Now, I m considering transitioning to something else since Oracle does not have any plans for JDE. What would be next closer logical transition with this kind of background where you do not lose all the experience that has been built and infact use it further to your advantage.

Larry_Jones

Legendary Poster
#1 I think its a smart move depending on your age. If you're relatively close to retirement I wouldn't make the move unless you're bored with current status.
Without you sharing more of your background / skills though can't make any other specific recommendations. Are you willing to do geographic moves as well?

Christian Audet

Staff member
#1 I think its a smart move depending on your age. If you're relatively close to retirement I wouldn't make the move unless you're bored with current status.
Without you sharing more of your background / skills though can't make any other specific recommendations. Are you willing to do geographic moves as well?
Larry, I can't resist when reading Sam's post to think about back in 1999-2001 when nothing was so certain with JDE/PeopleSoft/Oracle . I had the same question back then "What will I do" it felt like Oracle did not have a vision, we did not know if it was JDE 5 / ERP 8 / PeopleSoft or Oracle which was the name of this tool. We all kept working on it and today it's getting better. Not as fast as I hope but perhaps this is why we have a job today I suppose.

jdeEAM

I agree with Larry's comment above re where you are in your career trajectory? that is an important factor.

I also agree with Christian and think that those who ponder what the future holds should also factor in the resiliency of the JDE customer base. We are continuing to invest in building out our Vendor Solutions (CAM Performance Plus) for EnterpriseOne because we still see customers investing in their JDE E1 solutions.

Two additional thoughts...

I honestly would consider the economic impact of Covid-19 and wonder how many CIO's will be petitioning their Board of Directors to green-light an ERP Migration ($10M+) in the next couple years? That might further extend the JDE market depending on your horizon...

I'd really recommend if you haven't already started to familiarize yourself with Nextworld (www.nextworld.net) you should. I suspect Nextworld is going to be on the minds of a lot of JDE Customers and the extended JDE ecosystem very soon...and not just for the word-association factor (World-->OneWorld-->Nextworld???)

Larry_Jones

Legendary Poster
I agree with Larry's comment above re where you are in your career trajectory? that is an important factor.

I also agree with Christian and think that those who ponder what the future holds should also factor in the resiliency of the JDE customer base. We are continuing to invest in building out our Vendor Solutions (CAM Performance Plus) for EnterpriseOne because we still see customers investing in their JDE E1 solutions.

Two additional thoughts...

I honestly would consider the economic impact of Covid-19 and wonder how many CIO's will be petitioning their Board of Directors to green-light an ERP Migration ($10M+) in the next couple years? That might further extend the JDE market depending on your horizon...

I'd really recommend if you haven't already started to familiarize yourself with Nextworld (www.nextworld.net) you should. I suspect Nextworld is going to be on the minds of a lot of JDE Customers and the extended JDE ecosystem very soon...and not just for the word-association factor (World-->OneWorld-->Nextworld???)
I never heard of NextWorld before now ... WebSite described an intriguing architecture ... kinda what I'd expect JDE to have if development hadn't stopped ...

DBohner-(db)

Legendary Poster
Guys,

I m sorry for using this thread to post this question. I could not think of any other place. Just trying to get perspective and any inputs is greatly appreciated.

I have been in JDE since 2004 and have mostly worked in technical side. Although I have handled and led procurement and shop floor projects as well. Now, I m considering transitioning to something else since Oracle does not have any plans for JDE. What would be next closer logical transition with this kind of background where you do not lose all the experience that has been built and infact use it further to your advantage.
... "Since Oracle does not have plans for JDE"...? I was unaware of that. And to think of all those antique World Developers that are working on that deserted platform (and making good on its demise?)...

I, too, have thought much about what I'll do after JDE - driving straight down a curvy road is not in my box of options - so I'll occupy this space till my mind and fingers no longer work properly (that may have been years ago?)...

Give some ideas of what you want to do? Me, I'm going to grab my camera and do what I did before the JDE world - have fun with images.

www.existinglight.net

(db)

jdeEAM

I never heard of NextWorld before now ... WebSite described an intriguing architecture ... kinda what I'd expect JDE to have if development hadn't stopped ...

Yeah, it's really quite interesting Larry... I'd keep your eye on it for sure. We are currently developing the EAM module for Nextworld, have been using the No-code development tool for about a year now. I think it will be a PaaS/SaaS contender in the ERP space in the near future, and one of the best aspects is they are putting the "JDE Culture" that so many employees and customers really loved as a central tenet of their strategy.

jeffv

I haven't posted here in years, but this thread is interesting. Personally, I was forced into independent consulting and found that there's actually plenty of work out there. I'm always searching the job boards and putting my resume out there. Recently, I accepted a full time job back in industry for the first time in like 15 years of consulting.

I read a whitepaper on the Oracle site that makes it seem like JDE will be around for a while. At least the next 10 years.

Reference:

Larry_Jones

Legendary Poster
I haven't posted here in years, but this thread is interesting. Personally, I was forced into independent consulting and found that there's actually plenty of work out there. I'm always searching the job boards and putting my resume out there. Recently, I accepted a full time job back in industry for the first time in like 15 years of consulting.

I read a whitepaper on the Oracle site that makes it seem like JDE will be around for a while. At least the next 10 years.

Reference:

Don't get me wrong, I do think there is a job market for JDE Professionals for the next decade.
But ... its a niche job market. Oracle has effectively sunsetted the product. They keep coming out with new lipstick add-ons for the pig but nothing is changing in the core.
People with experience may do well supporting companies that don't want to change. But its no longer a career option. That's why I said a lot depends on someone's age. If you're relatively young or even middle aged it may be time to look at what else is out there and start building a path to newer technology and application products.