FTP Foreign Characters

IanSewell

I have a JDE environment in Spain and France that I have inherited. The users are entering data with specific characters in their language with acutes, scintalas, umlates etc. This is fine as they look and print through their own code page. However they are now FTP'ing a file with these characters to their PC and what was in their code page in now in UK or default.

For example they enter e-acute x"C0" and when I look at it I see { as I have UK page. When the Franch FTP the file they also see {.

Can anyone tell me why or point me to somewhere that can explain this. I have looked but I can not find any simple guides.

Thanks

[ QUOTE ]

For example they enter e-acute x"C0" and when I look at it I see { as I have UK page. When the Franch FTP the file they also see {.

Can anyone tell me why or point me to somewhere that can explain this. I have looked but I can not find any simple guides.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Ian -

System i FTP can perform translation during the download to the PC.

From the FTP prompt, before performing the GET command, type:

Quote TYPE C XXXXX

(where XXXXX represents the CCSID being used)

The CCSID that you use on the PC will be different from the CCSID on the System i.

In your case, you should try using either 1252 or 819.

For example, I have a file in a JDE Taiwan environment that is defined with CCSID 937 (Chinese). To get the data to the PC with the Chinese characters intact when using FTP, I must first type:

QUOTE TYPE C 950

(950 is Traditional Chinese on the PC)

then
GET FXXXXXX

Hope this helps,

Well I have partly solved my problem. It seems that the LANGID on the user profile will change the data when you do an FTP command from the Iseries to the PC. If I as a English ID downloads the file all the "{" in the data files sraty that was but if I change my LANGID on my profile to FRA- French when I do the same FTP the "{" turn into e-acutes!

The problem is now Frenach users downloading data from the Sapinsh system where the data was entered on a UK code page to the PSainish e-actutes get converted to "{" by the French user.

Back