Dual Units of Measure - 8.10

colin_gibbons

Hi there,

Am playing with Demo Jrn 8.10 standalone. I am looking at the new dual unit of measure (catchweight) stuff. I set up an item to be a dual UOM item. When I do an inventory adjustment for my item the standard conversion is not populated into the secondary unit of measure qty & even more of an issue it will process the transaction without a secondary unit of measure qty...
Is this just an issue with standalone or is it as designed on 8.10 ???
Help appreciated

Colin

That is certainly how if functions in 8.9. The reason is that if you are using dual units it is assumed that there is not a standard conversion and that the user must enter both quantities. Also, you can have zero in the secondary quantity because you may not require that the secondary unit be recorded for every lot.

This means, dont we need to define the conversion factor between the primary & secondary UOMs? But, I remember I faced error when I didn't define the conversion factor. Also, I felt there was no meaning in defining the conversion factor, when we need to handle two UOM independently, as the functionality claims.

Any more thoughts/info please..

You can set a master unit of measure conversion between two units of measure that applies to all items that don't need a specific conversion factor. You need some sort of conversion factor because when you create sales orders, work orders or purchase orders it uses the conversion factor for to define the secondary quantity as you can't set it manually. You can of course set the actual secondary quantity when shipping, completing or receipting. If you have an average conversion for an item you would set it to that for planning purposes.

Back