Changing DD Descriptions

DBohner-(db)

Legendary Poster
Howdy All,

Sometimes the descriptions that JDE provided - just don't make sense. For example; GNUM* - the description for each of the data items (0-8) is 'Generic Numeric'... not 'Generic Numeric 0, 1, 2 ... 8'

What issues might be crossed, if we change the Description to fit the actual field?

Once they have been changed (providing it won't cause any issues) - what is the proper step to replicate the changes to the clients?

TIA

Daniel

ps - I really don't enjoy playing with dd items, thus the thread.

Hey Dan,
As you know, changing anything regarding a DD is like changing a brick out at the bottom of your foundation. You run the risk of invalidating BSFN calls or Table I/O that use the DD for a grid column or variable and have left the default value be the coloumn heading.
I've found that it is just best to change it where you need it to be more description in an application and NOT change it globally.
Mike K.
AS400/V5R2/XE

Thanks Mikey!

Yes, I know about the DD stuff and brick-laying... we've (together) experienced that one.

One of the folks on the list provided me some insight - and apparently I can change the description, without too much fear.

When doing 'If logic' and 'Set Select' or 'Set Sequence' - the Description Field is used for the BC. We created a workfile with GNUM0 - GNUM8 and all nine fields had the same description. Thus, there was no way to accurately determine which field we are really using (they all had the same description)...

I changed the Description - and tested on other machines, thus far no issues.

Thanks to Peter - for providing one of the best DD Documents I have ever reviewed.

Daniel

Back