B9 MTR Deployment Server

M S Santharam

Hi,

I want to know the best local database (Oracle 10g R2 EE or Microsoft SQL2005 Express Edition) for deployment server. The above information is required suitable to B9, tool Release 8.98 for a user size approximately 4000 and concurrent user size will be 1200.

I am planning to use i595 FHA as ES, Intel 2X4 way servers with W2K8 64 bit OS as Deployment and other servers. No VM.

In the MTR document of oracle gave preference to Oracle database over Sql2005.

Also I want to know other precaution required like sizing w.r.t. user base etc...!!

As of now, Current system is based on Oneworld XE B7333, update 4, SP 23w1.

Hi,

That local Deployment database is not used by regular
users and it doesn't contain any live business data.

It stores local Deployment tables (for JDEPLAN and
DEP900 environments). It only has one user : JDE and
rarely takes more than 2 o 3 Gb of disk.

There will be only 1 user on that database (JDE)

[ QUOTE ]
In the MTR document of oracle gave preference to Oracle database over Sql2005.

[/ QUOTE ]

Imagine that....Oracle giving preference to one of their own products over a Microsoft product.

Oracle Enterprise Edition is a bit of overkill for the Deployment Server. This was Oracle's first-pass at getting the Deployment Server off Windows (http://blog.karamazovgroup.com/2010/07/linux-deployment-server.html) and I can only hope that something other than the massive Oracle Database Enterprise Edition is forthcoming for the local database.

Stick with SSE for now.

The Oracle local DB on the deployment server is probably the best way to go. Future releases will probably only allow this as a choice, and head to head with SSE, Oracle offers more capacity and faster package build times.

Pretty simple......

OEE takes 500 MB RAM just to start
SSE takes 50 MB RAM just to start

Multiply this by each development client.

I only use OEE if the client is 100% Red Stack AND has very powerful workstations.

Otherwise default to SSE.

If you are performing a clean install (no upgrade) use the Oracle DB. SSE support sucks...and you can download the Oracle DB management app free if you use E1. SSE is problematic at best, unless you already have a SQL management license....

SSE is fine........Symantec uses it for their local DB as do 100's of other vendors.

It's free and so are the support tools (SQL Server Management Studio Express).

MSDE/SSE has been used since 2003 as the local repository on JDEdwards

OEE has been used for about 2 years (new with 9.0).

So in terms of support I think we can assume that since 70% of ther base is on 8.12, 5% on 9.0 and most 9.0 installs are on SSE...........well I guess numbers speak for themselves.

Colin

I agree with Colin.

Don't forget to mention the inevitable additional maintenence requirements of OEE, including the mess with the client software when you upgrade your production DB to a newer release than your local OEE...

Back