8.9 Upgrade Visual Compare

TimPierce

Reputable Poster
We are about to start the retrofitting as part of our upgrade from Xe to 8.9.

Does anyone know if you can use the Visual ER compare across releases? i.e. compare the object in 8.9 directly to the object in Xe?

Apparently this is theoretically possible but we know of no-one who has done it in practise.

Thanks,

Tim.

We will soon start the same process for a rather large custom environment (>3000 new/modified objects).

I was told by a Peoplesoft CNC that the E/R compare tool was specifically designed to allow upgrades to be performed, which implies that it IS possible to compare across versions.

Moreover, I have read in a post somewhere that it should be possible to compare a copied object (i.e. P554210) with the original (i.e. P4210).

I'll share my experience with the list as we go over the process. We are just starting to plan the effort. If you have any hints, please let us know!

Yes, Tim, it is possible.
We use VisCompare on a daily basis, here.
The Xe release resides on a separate wkstn (an old web server), and we've shared its B7333 directory, making it available to all our developers.
Warm regards,

Thanks for the replies.

Adrian, have you encountered a problem where the ER compare crashes when comparing large objects (e.g. P4210)?

Tim.

Tim,

I have seen ER Compare crash when comparing P4210 XE to 8.9 version. Ended up re-applying changes the hard way.

Regards,

Hi Larry,

This crash on large objects is bad news enough.

Regards,

Zoltán

Nope!
Tried both P4210 & P4310, and never crushed on me.
And I have almost the same configuration with you WIntel_2K with MSQL_2K
Warm regards,

Sabastien

You indicated that you read somewhere that you can compare two different objects using Visual ER, for example P554210 to P4210. Have you found a way to get it to work?

Patty

Hi Pattey,

Excuse me, that I reply instead of Sebastien.

In our B9 (8.93B1) (and I suppose, above) is possible to compare object with different object name, for example P554210 to P4210.

Further enhancement, that FDA has a "Compare Mode" (also can compare APPLs with different name). In this mode you can compare ALL (almost hundred) attributes of forms, controls and copy or merge them from source to local target or edit them on local, instead of comparing ER. You can immediatelly see the changes and the differences between the source and local on the form design view.

Regards,

Zoltán

Zoltan

Thanks for the response. I see now where it's possible to change the object to compare in Visual ER. Also I didn't know about the new feature in FDA. Thanks for pointing that out. Do you know if it is possible to compare different objects in XE? My merged custom P55 application is quite different than the E810 vanilla version. May I could apply a different tools release?

Patty

Hi Patty,

You can compare objects with different object names in XE too - using Chris Bruce great and really ingenious (and free
cool.gif
) tool.

Please, read the thread and check-out the attachment of the:

Visual ER Bridge (VERB)

post on the Downloads board.

It works and great help on XE.

Thank it to Chris Bruce.

Regards,

Zoltán

I downloaded the verb.exe tool, created specs on the C drive then ran Visual ER Compare on the P55 object. It's been in hourglass mode for about 30 minutes. Any idea's while it's taking so long. My CPU is pegged at 100%. I think I'll kill it and re-boot. Couldn't hurt.

Patty

"I think I'll kill it and re-boot. Couldn't hurt."

famous last words ... lol

Zoltan

Visual ER still hangs comparing against the specs create by the verb.exe tool. Any thought as to why this might be happening?

Patty

Hi Patty,

There is really no need at all to say so much thanks to Chris for this pretty tool
cool.gif

I suppose, you very well know, that this is XE and ERP 8 tool only, am I right? Further I am sure, you had read the linked thread (as I suggested), the downloaded manual and checked the "How it works" button of tool.

So, I have only some question
cool.gif
- I suppose - more over I am sure, that you already tried all and more, but I am curious to your results:
tongue.gif

Q1.) Does VERC alone work well on untouched vanilla object, using against Path Code and Remote Location?

Q2.) Does VERC alone work well on your copied object, using against Path Code and Remote Location?

Q3.) Did VERB finished successfully?

Q4.) Had the 32 spec file craeted in the reported folder? Had the folder created at all?

Q5.) Does VERC work well, when you run on a vanilla object against the "VERB-ed" version, where you enter the same vanilla name in VERB as well for vanila as for the derived object?

Q6.) Did you select the right folder in VERC as remote location?

Q7.) Have you tried to re-download and re-install VERB?

Q8.) Is your machine virus free? (just kidding
grin.gif
)
... etc.

Maybe, we can solve your issue, if you will share your results and your machine parameters, including the operating system.

Read you later,

Zoltán

Hi,

Some things to try:

1) Make sure that the jdedebug.log file is off while you run VERB and Visual ER Compare.
2) Close all OneWorld programs (oexplore, utb, etc.)
2) Clear the C:\VisualER directory and re-run VERB on your P55 object.
3) If VERB stalls, try to see if any message is printed to the jde.log. If there is a message please post.
4) If VERB runs fine, try using Visual ER compare.

If none of that works, you can give me a call at 303-693-6999.

Cheers,

Chris

Back