JDE 8.12 on i Series MTR

jdee108

Hello list,
We are currently on JDE XE(B7333)/Oracle 9 and planning to migrate to JDE 8.12 on iSeries. I would like to know the MTR details and the steps that are required in this process. I hope some of you have gone thru this kind of process. Could you give me some details please

Thanks
(Currently on JDE XE(B7333)/Oracle 9i)
(will be migrating to JDE 8.12 on iSeries)

hello,

You may have some issues ragarding to the installation of the platform pack on iSeries V5R4, which is a bug of IBM with the media of 8.12, so check the customer connection for the workaround they have which summarizes the installation of the platform pack in two steps. One for the logic components and one for the database components. you have to run the platform pack twice.
The other issues relevant to the upgrading stuff cna be check it out in the Customer Connection -- Knowledge Browser -- Tools & Tecnology -- CNC -- Upgrade and remember to download the las document of recent issues of upgrades from the update center.

I hope it could be of help

Regards

The official MTRs are here, and here (if you will use the iSeries as your JAS server).

Unless you've gone through a couple of conversions, you really might want to look around for a consultant who has done this before, because there are extra issues with converting between platforms, besides all the normal issues you get with upgrading between versions.

My first suggestion would be to get a new Deployment Server for E812. Trying to use Snapshot to switch between Xe and E812 to run the upgrade on your existing Deployment Server is not for the faint hearted. It can be done, but if you're switching to an iSeries, one would hope you have some room in your budget for a new server.

My second suggestion would be to use your existing Xe installation to migrate the data to the AS/400 first, before beginning the upgrade process. This step will be your longest step, and you'll probably have to do it several times for: a) updating your test data, b) getting a good feel for how long the process will take at go-live, c) fixing conversion problems like possible duplicate records and tables that take too long.

My third suggestion is to take a really good look at your custom programs and decide exactly what you want to come over. If you have any conversion issues in this area, you may want to invest in a program like Boomerang to bring your custom objects across.

Other than these 3 suggestions, please read the upgrade documentation thoroughly: E812 Upgrade on AS/400.

Couldn't stress enough...get involved with the competency center in Denver. This is a free service, you can obtain a document to fill out about your system and needs, and they will come back with sizing estimates. They are staffed by Oracle E1 folks and IBM folks. You can submit multiple "what if's" as well, so you can see the difference in the sizes. I would then ask your iSeries hardware vendor to provide the same information, or better yet, if you are not locked in, submit it to two or three. You should then have a minimum of two or lots of different possibilities to look at. The iSeries is too complex and may be asked to run many other applications to have a set of "MTR's".

As far as the migration steps, I agree with the former post. There are two groups of activities in the technology/CNC area...activities performed rarely...and those that are not. Upgrades, major updates, platform conversions...these are all activities that normally don't get performed on a regular basis, and you really should consider getting help. It's like if you need to change the oil or top off fluids in your car, you probably can do it yourself...but if you need a transmission changed, you'll probably need to pay for someone that does that often.

And before the peanut gallery chimes in, NO, I barely know CNC, I do not know how to change a transmission.

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I am going to check with Denver too and take their help.

Also I have gone thru some other posts related to custom objects migration. As you and many other knowledgeable people on this forum suggested, I am going to suggest to the top management to hire services of Boomerang/other consulting companies, who have done this kind of migration. Thanks again for your valuable time and response.

Regards

Back