Archving before E1 upgrade

Jaise James

Reputable Poster
All,

We are thinking of upgrading from E810 to 9.0. What would be the business case for doing archiving prior to upgrade.

I know if we have smaller data set, conversion process during upgrade will run faster. But what would be other points for doing this.

Data conversion during the upgrade is probably the biggest reason to archive that can be directly attributed to an upgrade. Remember, when you cut over from your old system to the new system you will need to run those conversions in as short of time as possible.

Just don't make the archive part of the upgrade project. Get it done well in advance of starting on your upgrade project.

To make a long story short, everything will run faster.

If you have 10 years worth of data, and you decide you can archive 5 of them, your database is only searching 5 years worth of data instead of 10. You get a speed improvement without changing the hardware.

I was at a ECRUG (or was it Quest?) presentation recently for Arctools and I was impressed. Not sure about the cost.

Malcolm

All,

Thanks for your reply. AS I said, I agree with you all about archiving before upgrade to make conversion run faster. However, Is there any other reason for this. I have not found any thing on oracle website. I would greatly appreciate if you have any white paper or any other documentation on this

Thanks in advance for your help

We archive WO, PO and SO data on a semi-annual basis, to help keep run times down for MRP, CRP, etc. The built-in JDE WO Purge (R4801P) works well for us. We wrote SQL scripts to archive PO's and SO's. We've been doing this for years, with good results.

The benefits at upgrade/data conversion time are a bonus.

I normally archive/purge/data cleanse before an upgrade or re-implementation. Not only as mentioned, time savings, lower run time of UBES/APPS once live, plus this is really a good time to do a data cleanse, and probably the only chance you'll get for "clean" data. I am not sure of any white papers, but have done so many upgrades that this I include as a mandatory process as part of upgrade.

Back