SSE and SQL Management Tools on same machine?

DMiller

I have a co-worker with a need to have both E1 windows (fat) client and the management tools for SQL 2005.

However… when the management tools were loaded, then I couldn’t install the E1 Fat client which is using SSE (SQL Server 2005 Express Edition).

Then for giggles, I removed the SQL 2005 management tools and installed E1 which installed successfully. Next, I tried to load the management tools back onto the PC, but it would not allow me to saying there is a version already installed.

I can’t seem to get both on the PC. Any ideas? Has anyone run across this type of issue and how did you resolve it?!

Thanks much!

Yes, I've done it, but it's been a while, so I don't remember the exact sequence. I remember there was an Advanced button to choose options somewhere in the process. I'll have to fire up a VM template and try it again to figure out the exact steps.

P.S. I'm assuming you want the full SQL Server Management Studio, and not Management Studio Express.

OK, try this. Instead of double-clicking on the SETUP.EXE file to install the full SQL Server 2005 tools, type on the command line or from Start-Run:

setup.exe SKUUPGRADE=1

and see if that let's you run the full SQL Server 2005 installation after SSE is installed.

Ken -
THANKS for the information! Your suggestion worked like a charm and I got the management tools installed on the PC!

Thanks again!!!!

Back