Web Facing w/WebSphere

choltquist

I have a question for the list. Has anyone used WebSphere to Web Face existing World Applications? If so what success have you had? And what problems/issues have you encountered? Thanks for your time.

I ask the same questions and got no response,, Are you doing the Wed Facing,, or just thinking about it?? We were looking into it, but our machine is too smalll to run the websphere product.

We are looking into doing this. We just put our new 810 into production and my employer is most interested in doing this. The system has enough horsepower to accomplish the job but I am not sure what the ramifications may be on the J. D. Edward's side.

I imagine because of the huge price penalty to run Green Screen on the new
hardware, companies are going to be looking hard at anything that avoids
that extra cost, with Web Facing certainly one of the leading solutions. My
understanding that web facing will likely require some DDS source changes,
but I don't know exactly what those changes are. As JDE customers, we
probably need to push JDE to make World software Web Face enabled/capable.

John Dickey
JDE Financial Systems
Administrator/Programmer/Analyst
White-Rodgers, Division of Emerson
St. Louis, MO
314-577-1466

Green screen indicates iSeries. What is this "huge price penalty to run Green Screen on the new hardware" you allude? Is there a document on this?

Fred Short
Alltel Communications Inc.
World & Xe

Fred Short
Senior Systems Engineer
Alltel Information Services
World Vison 7.3
One World B7.33

Re: RE: Web Facing w/WebSphere

Thank you for your response. My limited exposure to the use of Web Facing up to this point has shown the process of actually converting the green screen DDS to be for the most part handled automatically by WebSphere. The point that concerns me is that the RPG program is then accessed on the AS/400. My suspicion is that there will be security type issues when this process takes place since the call would be coming from essentially outside of the J. D. Edward's environment. My employer is running an old (A6.2) version of World so I would imagine that there would little interest on the part of J. D. Edward's to give us assistance or guidance in this matter.

Mr. John Dickey,
I am curious as to what the "Huge price Penalty's are to run Green Screens that you mentioned?

Scott Parker
Grote Industries, LLC
mailto:[email protected]

Scott Parker
Grote Industries, LLC.
WorldSoftware Version 8.1.2 AS/400 V5R1

John Dickey
JDE Financial Systems
Administrator/Programmer/Analyst
White-Rodgers, Division of Emerson
St. Louis, MO
314-577-1466

We took our 170 from 4.4 to 5.1 so that we could do web facing. My undestanding of its working is that websphere provides the interface for the brower client access. Using visual RPG,, and some conversion programs,,, the "green screen", entries become "mouse-able". While the mouse browser world is not suitable for head down data entry. It is a "prettier, looks more modern " interface. It is the "green screen", world made to run thru a browser,, with mouse clikc capable. From the info I have read, there are no file or code changes on the world app, just a prettier face.

I have done some web facing with our World applications. The process is fairly straight forward, but does require some minor changes to the DDS. I'd be happy to provide greater detail, if you'd like. The ideal, ultimate solution is to convince JDE to provide this functionality. This is something that I am working towards, along with some fellow World users.
Dave

Thanks for the response. I would be most interested in whatever information you can provide to me concerning this process. Please feel free to contact me directly at [email protected]. Also I would be happy to add my voice to the crowd in attempting to convince J.D. Edward's of the necessity for this functionality.

Dave,

I would be interested in any details you could share.

Thanks,

Fred

Fred Short
Senior Systems Engineer
Alltel Information Services
World Vison 7.3
One World B7.33

Back