Viewing Large pdf

Devki

We have recently installed Citrix MetaFrame Presentation Server and having trouble viewing Large Pdfs. Oracle has suggested to downgrade cannot help since this version is not supported and License for Metaframe Xp will be phasing out this March. Anyone out there in the same boat as us, if so, did you encounter this problem and how did you resolve it?

We are on the 520 iseries as our Enterprise Server and W2K3 for Terminal servers. running JDEdwards Enterprise One Xe Update 7 with SP23_K1

thanks
devki

Can you be more specific regarding the problem you are having? Large PDF's can often be a problem. If the time needed to download the PDF exceeds the time specified in the JDENET section of your JDE.INI file then the download will simply stop. No message is presented to the user. You will however see a message in your JDE.LOG. How large is large in your case?

Regards,

We cleaned up the printqueue and the DB file f986110 and now we can run and view about a 70 page report. I have a report which 800 pages and this will not open as you say nothing happens. I have increased the timeout in my INI file on the terminal server which does not lock up the OW apps as it used to but still this increase does not open up the report.
Appreciate your time. Thanks devki

Devki,
We had the same issue. But in our case the mayor problem is related to the traffic into the WAN. In some contries we have really big files.
Our solution wat to create a new interactive application, that list the summitted jobs and you have the option to "download" the PDF. When you click in download it will fire a script into the batch server using a business function. This BSFN runs a unix (in our case) script (using a shell cmd) that compress the PDF file and make a transfer into a FTP box for each user.

Hope this help.

Even with an increased timeout value it still may not be enough. It will depend on the size of the file and the bandwidth of your connection to the enterprise server.

If you have FTP running on your enterprise server then ftp over to your printqueue and manually FTP the file/member associated with your 800 page PDF. The name of this file would include the job number. The amount of time it takes to FTP in this way would be about the same as what the OneWorld client would need. If your JDENet timeout is lower than this amount then you will not be able to download the PDF through the OneWorld client.

You can theoretically set the JDENet as high as you want. However it can have negative side effects. If the client loses connectivity to the enterprise server the requests sent to that server (bsfn requests, security requests, submit job requests, etc.) will wait up to the timeout before informing the user. This can be frustrating for the user. I have had sites that decided to configure 1800 or 3600 seconds. They produced many massive PDF's per day and decided that it was worth the potential side effects to be able to download via the OneWorld client.

Personally my preferred approach is similar to Carlos'. I use various scripted approached depending on platform to move the files to a network share where the users can get at them. I also will used Optio/Formscape/CreateForm to route these big reports when one of those products is available.

Regards,

This is why "page at a time PDF" and PDF compression is such a good idea. The Web client isn't all bad.

Back