Version Specs override on 400

jde_x_pert

Well Known Member
We have a problem that I wonder if any one has seen.

We have built and deployed Sales Order Update Versions on the 400 for the schedule to run. When a user calls the same version and changes the data selection at run time, It changes the data selection on the 400. The user does not click the override specification button in the advance section when running the report.

I think this is happening for all reports submitted to the 400.

JAB
OW XE
AS/400 (Enterprise)
WinNT (Deployment)
SP16

Where is the user changing the data selection at? If s/he is changing from the row exit, then that changes the data selection for everyone. If the user changes it from clicking the check box before clicking on submit, then it only changes it for that particular run.

Jeremey Garcia
Greenville, SC, USA
Xe SP14; ES - AS/400; CO - AS/400; Deploy - NT Citrix - NT SP6; Report Distribution - Formscape;

JAB-

I believe that when scheduler runs it uses which ever specs are on the
server. Therefore if the user uses the row exit to change the data
selection, and then submits that version to the same server that the
scheduler uses the next time the scheduler runs it will use the new data
selection.

Aaron Walsh

The user is checking the Data Selection box at Run time, which in fact should only change it for that particular run. If I am not mistaking. I quess my question is, Is there a setup issue that when they change the data selection at run time it updates the enterprise server.

This should not happen.

JAB
OW XE
AS/400 (Enterprise)
WinNT (Deployment)
SP16

This is correct. If you change a version locally (data selection for example) and then submit it to you enterprise/logic server the version specs are submitted to the server before the UBE starts up on the server. This in effect overwrites your original version specs on the server. This does not have to be a problem unless the version happens to be a scheduled job. I have seen this before at a customer who could not understand that their MRP run took 5 minutes (normally took 3 hours) to run during their night batch. I found out that a user had changed the data selection of the scheduled version that day to run for one item only.
To avoid this, set up and secure seperate versions for scheduled jobs. Consider even using row security to stop users from changing them.

Currently OneWorld B7332/Xe Windows NT SQL 7.0 Server SP3/ Citrix XP (Experienced on all platforms)

Sorry, when I reread my last post I thought it was a little unclear.
and I just wanted to add that if the user had run the version locally you obviously would not have had an issue with your specs on the server.

Currently OneWorld B7332/Xe Windows NT SQL 7.0 Server SP3/ Citrix XP (Experienced on all platforms)

I understand what you are saying, but this is just opposite of what JDE's documents say. If this is the case, What is the Submit Version Specifications Only button for, I quess it means that if you don't want to run the report. Is this a bug or is it the way they designed it to work??

Also, I was told that when you change your data selection at run time, that it creates a temp file on the 400, uploads the version specs from the machine and runs them program. Then deletes the temp file.

I am getting confused.

JAB
OW XE
AS/400 (Enterprise)
WinNT (Deployment)
SP16

As far as I'm aware this is the way it was designed to work (I am using JDE help desk language here:) ). Its logical when you think about it. When a UBE is run on the server it needs to read the spec's to find out data selection/sequence info etc... So if a user changes data selection or data sequence on their workstation or in a Citrix session and runs the version on the server then OW needs a way of updating the server specs with the changes the user makes.

The submit version specs only option does in fact allow you to submit specs to the server without running the UBE. Handy when you need to repair the data selection/sequence on a scheduled version that has been changed by some user running the same version from their workstation.

Possibly some of the more experienced guys/gals on the list can verify this and/or correct me on this one.

We were having the same issue...and once we created seperate versions for the schedulae wiht medium security the problem went away. Copy the existing versions and create them specifically for the scheduler, thus always maintaining the same selections.

Cleola Isaacs
CNC Administrator/Network Analyst
Xe Update 2 SP 16
Enterprise AS/400
WTS NT 4.0

I ran into a problem today with the scheduler. We created a new version of
custom report and checked it in to the server. When I scheduled the report
it failed to submit. I then submitted the specs only and it fixed the
problem.

Crawford

Thanks for everyone's help. I still disagree with the design of how this works, but it is what it is.

Thanks and have a good day.

JAB
OW XE
AS/400 (Enterprise)
WinNT (Deployment)
SP16

Back