Use Visual C++ 2005 Express as IDE/Debugger in Xe

BOster

BOster

Legendary Poster
I would like to start using Visual C++ 2005 as my IDE / Debugger (I will still use VC++ 6 as my compiler) because of the dynamic file parsing in Intellisense (finally an easy way to get code copleteing when coding BSFNs). However, I am having a hard time debugging BSFNs. I cannot find the place to add additional DLLs to my project in VC++ 2005, so my break points remain disabled during a debug session. Anyone using VC++ 2005 (or any other version of VC++.net) for debugging? Whats the trick?

Hello BOster, Did you ever find an answer to your query? I have a couple developers that would like to do the same thing in 8.12.
Thanks, Rich

Hi Richard,

Oracle/JD Edwards does not support VC++ Express due to its platform limitations because it is not backwards compatible with .NET 2003. Moreover they dont have any plans in near future to support it.

If you come across some tweak then let me know too.

Hope it helps.

Just a note, you can 'legally' acquire many versions of Visual Studio 2003
on Ebay for less than $150... Many come with an upgrade disk from VS 2002.
I got my VS 2003 Arch for $99.

If you currently have VS 2005 (or soon to be 'later') - you can contact MS
for a free Downgrade. If you purchased MSDN (you must be holy rich??? :) )
- you can download VS 2003 from the download area of MSDN.

(db)

--

Sorry I missed your post... haven't checked the board in a while.

To answer your question, I am now using Visual C++ 2005 as my IDE for both developing and debugging in Xe. The debugging part was the hardest part and required me to do a small mod to OMW. Tons of improvements over VC++ 6, but the biggest improvements that I have found are as follows:

1. Debugging. Conditional Breakpoints, not having to find and specify all the DLLs, etc.
2. Dynamic Intellisense (code completion, etc). Note on this... it is buggy as hell, parts of it only work sporadically, but the other parts that do work consitantly, work very well.
3. Much improved bookmark system.

All in all a big improvement. Did take me about a week to get everything figured out and do the OMW mod, but its working.

Brian Oster

Hi Boster/ All,

Does VS 2005 works with E1 8.12, 8.96.F1?

Appreciate your help,

THanks
K

VS 2005 and/or Any of the MS Express Tarnations - will not work with any E1
implementation.

I pressed this issue at Collaborate (don't remember the name or title) -
voicing the complaint that; 'Why do we have to purchase thousand-dollar
tools, then down-grade to VS 2003 ... when C++ Express is FREE?". It was
promised to be looked into, evaluated and replied to...

I can't hold my breath that long, though.

Best choice - VS 2003 on Ebay. Purchase it for $99 - they usually come with
a VS 2002 Disk and VS 2003 Upgrade (that's the most economical means, if you
trust Ebay

I should stress that I use VC++ 2005 for my IDE and for debugging. I still have VC++ 6 installed which is what I use for the actual compile. I modified the OMW "Build Business Function" process to build the business functions with the required .pdb info that VC++ 2005 needs in order to use it as the debugger. Also, I am doing this in Xe... I don't know about any of the other releases.

To summarize
IDE = VC++ 2005
Compile = VC++ 6
Debug = VC++ 2005

I know, everybody is saying modified OMW. Can you please explain what sort of modifications were needed.

Any help is appreciated.

Back