Upgrade Tool Release 8.98.3.1 to 8.98.4.2 or 8.98.4.3

Phyrom

Current we are running on Tool Release 8.98.3 which we know that there is a lot issue with UBE performance on this release which in fact causing the entire JDE server to perform so slow and consuming so much memory; thus, it badly affect user operation when there are more concurrent users running UBE.

For that reason we need to upgrade to latest tool release 8.98.4.3 by hoping that it will help solving the issue on the UBE performance.
Currently we are on the following:

Deployment Server:
> Windowws 2003 Standard Edition SP2
> Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition SP3
> JDE Deployment Server with TR 8.98.3.1
> Visual Studio C++ 2005
> JDE Server Manager 8.98.3.1
Enterprise Server
> Windows 2003 Standard Edition SP2
> Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition SP2
> JDE Enterprise Server with TR 8.98.3.1
> Data Server is in the same box as enterprise server
> Visual Studio C++ 2005
JAS Application Server
> IBM WAS 6.1.0.21
> HTML Server TR 8.98.8.3.1

We are trying to find about the compatibility of TR 8.98.4.2 or 8.98.4.3 with following but we couldn't find one.
1) Windows 2003 Server on deployment, enterprise, and JAS servers
2) SQL Server Express 2005 (it will requires to be upgraded to SP3), and
3) IBM WAS 6.1

Please help confirm me if the above 3 items (Windows, SSE, IBM WAS) are supported by TR 8.98.4.2 or 8.98.4.3. Looking around the Oracle support and it seems that TR 8.98.4.X drops support for Windows 2003.
If they are supported, please advise should there is any precaution or special instruction to apply to deployment, enteprise, and JAS servers so that they are fully working on this latest Tool Release.

your comments and advise is very much appreciated.

Thank you

Regards,
Phyrom

My understanding is that 8.98.3.4 was the last tools release supported on Windows 2003. Tools 8.98.4.x requires Windows Server 2008 (x64).

Hi,

W2003 is no longer supported by JDE.
Start by upgrading to W2008 then move to Tools 898.4.x

8.98.4.2 works very well with W2008x64 and WAS 6.1.0.39

[ QUOTE ]
Current we are running on Tool Release 8.98.3 which we know that there is a lot issue with UBE performance on this release which in fact causing the entire JDE server to perform so slow and consuming so much memory; thus, it badly affect user operation when there are more concurrent users running UBE.

For that reason we need to upgrade to latest tool release 8.98.4.3 by hoping that it will help solving the issue on the UBE performance.
Currently we are on the following:

Deployment Server:
> Windowws 2003 Standard Edition SP2
> Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition SP3
> JDE Deployment Server with TR 8.98.3.1
> Visual Studio C++ 2005
> JDE Server Manager 8.98.3.1
Enterprise Server
> Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition SP2
> JDE Enterprise Server with TR 8.98.3.1
> Data Server is in the same box as enterprise server
> Visual Studio C++ 2005
JAS Application Server
> IBM WAS 6.1.0.21
> HTML Server TR 8.98.8.3.1

We are trying to find about the compatibility of TR 8.98.4.2 or 8.98.4.3 with following but we couldn't find one.
1) Windows 2003 Server on deployment, enterprise, and JAS servers
2) SQL Server Express 2005 (it will requires to be upgraded to SP3), and
3) IBM WAS 6.1

Please help confirm me if the above 3 items (Windows, SSE, IBM WAS) are supported by TR 8.98.4.2 or 8.98.4.3. Looking around the Oracle support and it seems that TR 8.98.4.X drops support for Windows 2003.
If they are supported, please advise should there is any precaution or special instruction to apply to deployment, enteprise, and JAS servers so that they are fully working on this latest Tool Release.

your comments and advise is very much appreciated.

Thank you

Regards,
Phyrom

[/ QUOTE ]

"Support" for a platform has become a tricky term in EnterpriseOne. Oracle is trying to get everyone to the latest software releases on every component (including E1) in order to lower their support costs. In doing so, they are increasing the costs for their customers by forcing upgrades sooner.

I had a chance to ask for some clarifying information from Oracle regarding de-support and asked the question about de-supporting a platform that was supported at the time of install. In other words: If 8.12/8.96 was supported and worked on Windows 2003 when it was installed why would it now not work and not be supported just because the calendar had advanced four years? Their answer was that a configuration that was supported at the time of install would still be supported.

Now, having said that I am not sure what the answer would be if you changed your configuration by upgrading a Tool Release. My guess is that it would not be officially supported but would work. Oracle's position on this is not the clear-cut "Not supported" answer you might expect. For more details on how they would handle support for Windows 2003 check out this article:

http://blog.karamazovgroup.com/2010/05/oracle-to-de-support-windows-2003-in.html

It is my opinion that Oracle should develop a supported platform matrix that includes something like:

Supported, works
Unsupported, works
Unsupported, doesn't work

I am quite certain 8.98.4.3 would work with Windows 2003 and you would be able to get support from Oracle as long as they can reproduce the issue on a newer OS.

Also, keep in mind that "Supported" means different things to a techie and a manager. To a manager, running on an unsupported configuration can be a job search opportunity.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

W2003 is no longer supported by JDE.
Start by upgrading to W2008 then move to Tools 898.4.x

8.98.4.2 works very well with W2008x64 and WAS 6.1.0.39

[/ QUOTE ]

Except Windows 2008 is not supported at their current release. I do it the other way around - TR first then Windows 2008.

We just upgraded to 8.98.4.2 a few weeks ago and our Deployment and web servers are still running Windows 2003 R2 and we've had no issues. I also know other companies that are running on the 8.98.4.x release with Windows 2003 R2 servers and haven't run into any issues either. I say go for the TR upgrade first and then do the OS upgrade when convenient for you.

If you'll decide to migrate to Windows 2008 (deployment, ent and web) platform with TR 8.98.4.3 if I remember well, you have to upgrade SSE over deployment server
gg

I am in the process of upgrading from 8.98.0 to 8.98.4.2 - and am on windows 2003/SQL 2005/WAS 6.1. I am having problems when i try to log into the web server, however. it hangs for several minutes - i finally get in, but don't see any menus. I do see my name, the environment, and the signout icons, so i know i am "in". I'm updating my test server, but my security server is on another box and has not been updated. Oracle is saying it's my serialized objects, but i cannot confirm.
Do you know if having the security server on the earlier tools release would be an issue? Thanks!

No, communication should be OK. On the other hand, they like you to regenerate serialized objects when you change Tools Releases, so you should at least clear (truncate) the two tables (F989998, F989999), and let E1 start regenerating.

I think it depends on where your jde ini file is pointing. If you are using only one set of security services (on production), you might run into a problem. I know this might seem unconventional but I seen instances where a separate DV box points back to the production box for the security kernel. If this is the case, you might run into an issue while upgrading the DV side.

The fix is pretty simple - point your DV system to itself for the security kernel.

Just to add our experience -

We have upgraded our E1 environment to 8.98.4.2. 3 of our enterprise servers are aix 6.1 and these upgraded fine but I have a win2003
enterprise server too and once upgraded I cannot get the jde services to start.

After speaking to oracle they said yeah you need to go to 2008 but see if the user community knows if 8.98.4.2 / win2003 can actually work....

Our deployment server and webdev clients are still 2003 though and they are fine.

Has anyone successfully upgraded a win2003 enterprise server to 8.98.4.2?

Thanks

Here is a screen shot of what happens when I try to start the services from the windows server itself.
Server Manager just still says stopped after you've clicked start and left it to start.

Attachments

• 170684-e1batch services wont start.doc
    92 KB · Views: 99
Hi,

Have you built and deployed a package for this Intel box?

How would I build a package if the services wont start?

The intel server has been working quite happily on 8.98.3.3 for the last 6 months by the way. So yes I have built and deployed plenty of packages on 8.98.3.3.

Yes, it does work. My 8.12 Enterprise Server is on Windows 2003 R2, and TR 8.98.4.2.

Back