E9.2 Updating to Release 23 when on Release 22

JohnDanter2

JohnDanter2

VIP Member
Hi folks

We've recently upgraded from 9.0 to 9.2 last year and are on release 22, we plan to take the yearly 23 24 25 October/November releases each year.
How many of you are doing this and what kind of work is involved? I read there is new Update Manager. So this process is now different to before??

Main questions are:
1) We want to get an idea of what objects are affected for retrofit analysis etc. Can we download the list of objects affected (like ESUs and to XML impact analysis) or does it come with it own specific analysis (hooked into object useage tracking for example) Planner and Tools Enhancement ASU analysis

2) Can all these new objects then be deployed as a FULL package update (I guess the TR enhancements may say no to this step)

3) Is there any down time to the roll out. I assume involves bouncing the servers to take the new TR?

4) Can you have a mixture of TRs in say DV to PY UT PD920 etc?

5) Can you update the APPs without updating the TR and can you seperate the TR update from the apps update

Thanks

John

Hi folks

We've recently upgraded from 9.0 to 9.2 last year and are on release 22, we plan to take the yearly 23 24 25 October/November releases each year.
How many of you are doing this and what kind of work is involved? I read there is new Update Manager. So this process is now different to before??

Main questions are:
1) We want to get an idea of what objects are affected for retrofit analysis etc. Can we download the list of objects affected (like ESUs and to XML impact analysis) or does it come with it own specific analysis (hooked into object useage tracking for example) Planner and Tools Enhancement ASU analysis

2) Can all these new objects then be deployed as a FULL package update (I guess the TR enhancements may say no to this step)

3) Is there any down time to the roll out. I assume involves bouncing the servers to take the new TR?

4) Can you have a mixture of TRs in say DV to PY UT PD920 etc?

5) Can you update the APPs without updating the TR and can you seperate the TR update from the apps update

Thanks

John
Hi John,
Release 23 means you are on Update 7 and tools 9.2.7.x. You could ofcourse do just the tools.
The fact that you are on R22 means that the delta would be lesser. But ofcourse you need to run an impact analysis to find out.

1 - Download the Un7 and run the impact analysis to see the impact.
2. I would go for a full package.

1) You can do Impact Analysis against UN7 as you would with any other ESU, as well. Hold that against Object Usage Tracking, modified standard objects etc.pp. to see the impact, as @glen7x already stated.
2) You will need to install UN7 into a path code and then deploy it as a full package, you could do that in Pristine, or if you don't want to touch your current Pristine, create a second one.
3) Absolutely, TR Deployment to Enterprise Server, JAS etc. needs a restart and probably some more settings, which you'll find out in an environment that is not PROD, which brings me to to
4) Yes! Start from the bottom and move up from there. Keep in mind that you might not be able to transfer UDOs from a 9.2.7.x env to a 9.2.6.x env. Also, your deployment server will be multi foundation to switch back to 9.2.6.x for package build of the older environments. Server Manager will be 9.2.7.x, which is not a problem as it's (mostly) backwards compatible.
5) Once you're on a certain level (you are!) you can definetly do that. Especially when we're talking R22 vs. R23 here, you should be just fine with just doing either.

Does anyone know if the ipact analysis UBEs pick up on cloned objecta at all?
Or do we still need the fancy SQL for that?

They put a facility in the Update Manager for that, but I've not done it. All it really does is run the SQL and populate a table I believe.

They put a facility in the Update Manager for that, but I've not done it. All it really does is run the SQL and populate a table I believe.
Brillaint, thanks

As it's in 9.2.6?? or just .7

Back