Upgrade strategy

gigi

gigi

VIP Member
Hi,
I have a customer on XE release. Now He is interested in un upgrade to the new release (probably release 9).
We have defined 15 company on XE, 5 only with financial module, other with financial, distribution and manufacturing.
On XE there is only one environment PD7333 with transaction of tis company.
Customer wants that also in the new release must be only one environment.
Now the problem comes. Customer want upgrade companies in different step to avoid a big beng LIVE with all companies (around the world).
For example first live Company 1,2,3,4,5 1th june 2009, companies 6,7,8,9,10 1 january 2010 and so on.....

So, is there official documentation that illustrates strategies to reach this goal ? How you Know there are a lot of implications... Next Number, table without company and with job number like primary key, customers, supplier, items.....

Has someone involved in a project of this kind? HAve you documentation?
thanks in advance
Gigi

Gigi,
What architecture is the client on (iSeries, Oracle, SQL or vapor)? If the
client is on iSeries, The iConsortium has a tool that will allow you to
migrate your business, one unit at a time - to whichever version you want to
move to.

Feel free to PM me (so we take the sales pitch off line) - and I'll put you
in contact with the nice pholk that can define if their solution is a fit
for your definition.

(db)

--

thanks db,
XE is based on Oracle database.
In your opinion is IConsortium methodology replicable on Oracle technology? Have you documentation about it?
thanks
Gigi

Hi Gigi,

Just a note in support of what Daniel B. has already conveyed. Big bangs often go big bust! <smile>. Of course it all depends on the level of resources you have at hand!

I have worked with the iConsortium in the past and it has many fine folks who have done this type of conversion several times. I would definitely talk to Daniel about it. If you are on an iSeries and stick with it, it offers a stable technology base to continue. Keep in mind that the new versions of JDE are all double-byte character so integration with other third party software can be an issue for those that are not double-byte ready. Just one small issue.

There are many enhancements with the newer versions of JDE that can be taken advantage of; if you do some good due diligence and planning on the front end. Some business process re-engineering on how things are handled (from order processing to cash management and GL interfaces) might be improved with some of the new features. The data structures, while mostly the same have been changed/enhanced to offer some new functionality.

The main thing is that front end planning, education and involvement of your user departments are critical. I would suggest bringing up an alpha version of the target JDE system and begin prototype conversions to allow key 'super users' to experiment with the new features and functionality. I don't profess to know it all, but there are many new features in all the modules; many brand new. While this takes a substantial amount of time; it will be worth it as your conversion processes are smoothed out.

It does little benefit to migrate to an update JDE platform without taking advantage of the new features and functionality. There are many white papers available from Oracle and others to digest. Don't fall into the trap of implementing the new system then breaking it to run like the old XE version! <smile>. Too many companies have done that and wonder why they don't see any cost benefit of the conversion!

Personally, I work with the overall transaction processing of JDE and other ERP systems. It is crucial to a successful implementation that the entire transaction flow process is understood; especially if business process changes are to be implemented to optimize new system features. Do the proper planning and due diligence; test the heck out of each new process and feature; then the implementation into the business organization will go smoothly and the planned benefits will roll in!

I also specialize in the EDI transaction processing with JDE. Please visit my web site for information: http://www.jde-edi.com.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Skip Stein

Back