Upgrade from 8.0 to 8.11 SP1

Six Sighted

We are running Microsoft Windows 2000/SQL 2000 and like a lot of companies I am sure, we need to upgrade our E1 system...my question is at this time do we go to SQL 2005 or is this the time we look into Oracle as our database...any thoughts?

Wait and see. Larry Ellison hasn't decided whether he wants to piss off a lot of customers yet.

unfortunately don't have a lot of time to wait and see, gotta plan the ole network upgrade for the end of this year. I am just wondering if there is a compelling reason to go Oracle now, or wait another 5 years or so for Fusion and do it then?

We're in the middle of an upgrade project, from Xe to 8.10.

We've had our share of problems with the task of upgrading the application on its own, without adding the further pain of changing a database (tough we won't, cause we are already using Oracle).

I'd say that an upgrade project is messy enough without even touching issues such as enhancements for the user or IT changes. But that, of course, depends on the way things run at your company.

I'd focus on each task at its own time.

My 2 cents...

I dont see a compelling reason to move to an Oracle database right now. And as others mentioned, the ERP upgrade is a big enough task for now. Clubbing it with a database upgrade can be quite messy.

Unless ofcourse you want to use the Oracle application Server for your Web instead of WebSphere...

Also since Oracle does intend to eventually get all its customers onto an Oracle database, they MAY bring out specific programs / tools etc to assist customers for database migrations to Oracle. So you could take advantage of that then, than trying to fight it out on your own now.

These are just my thoughts...no facts...

Back
Top Bottom