upgrade 8.10 to 8.11

Steve JDE

Hi All!

We are using 8.10 and planning to upgrade to 8.11. Can anyone give me some information about the Additional Hardware and Software Requirements to upgrade to 8.11. Also please let me know the major difference between 8.10 and 8.11

Thanks,

Steve

We are on 8.10 and have no plans to upgrade to 8.11. The main difference is 8.11 is entirely Web based. Functionally, there is not a huge difference in each module. Also, during our specific SIG call yesterday, Oracle said they are coming out with a new release 9.0 in 2007. That is only a year away, so if it would normally take you several months to do an upgrade, then you will not be that far from 2007. Why not wait unless you have a compelling business case to go HTML and there is some major functionality in 8.11 that you must have. Not sure if that helps, but I have looked at upgrading from many aspects and simply cannot make the business case to go thru the level of effort for 8.11.

Gary

Hi Steve,

As Gary mentioned the major technical difference between 8.10 and 8.11 is that 8.11 is Web oly. Which means that the JAS components become a mandatory part of your architecture.

That means that you will have JAS servers and e-gen machines. It also means that you users will now have to use the web interface. If you already use the JAS on 8.10 then its no big deal. Else its gonna involve a lot of training and change management, if your users are used to the FAT client environment.

For the fucntional changes and highlights I suggest you get some material off the customer connection website.( Release Notes for 8.11, UVP for 8.11 etc)

Addtional Hardware Requirements

1. JAS Servers
2. E-Generators
3. Re-Size your Enterprise / Logic servers as there will be a lot more load on them since most logic and all batch processing would have to take place on your servers only.

Software Requirements

1. VC .NET 2003 instead of 6.0
2. WebSphere or OAS (only 8.95 and above)

This probably may not give you everything, but can give you a start...the list can go on..like load balancers..etc etc..would really depend on your requirements

Back