Upgrade 2000 sql to 2005 One World XE B7333 17.1

prithpal

Guys,
We are now in the process of upgrading to SQL 2005. Our current JDE system is XE, B7333, 17.1. What steps are required to upgrade the environment to support SQL 2005.

thank you in advance guys, unfortunately the guy looking after our JDE environment left!

Prith

[ QUOTE ]
Guys,
We are now in the process of upgrading to SQL 2005. Our current JDE system is XE, B7333, 17.1. What steps are required to upgrade the environment to support SQL 2005.

thank you in advance guys, unfortunately the guy looking after our JDE environment left!

Prith

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd suggest checking the MTR's (Minimum Technical Requirements) from Oracle.

Your on SP17.1???? I don't think your previous guy was watching your environment.
smile.gif

For SQL 2005 you need to be at least on SP23 but preferably Tools 24. My recommendation would be that you consider skipping SQL 2005 altogether and going directly to SQL 2008. (SQL 2005 is now two versions back as SQL 2008 R2 has been released.)

Here is half of a 10,000 ft high plan to get you started:

1.) Get JDE current. Upgrade to a supported tools level. Make sure all critical baseline ESUs have been applied. Make sure the latest planner ESUs is installed.

2.) On your client said install the latest SNAC drivers on all your workstations, TSEs, etc.

2.) For SQL upgrades there are several different methods available to you. My preference is the side-by-side upgrade. This leaves your old SQL install available if you need to roll back.

3.) Upgrade non-production SQL server first. Update data sources and ODBC accordingly.

5.) Test the hell out of it and I mean everything. I've done about ten of these upgrades and EVERY problem ever encountered in production was always reproducible in non-PD environments. This meant people did not test enough.

This should get you started. Feel free to give a call to discuss further if you like.

The minimum Service Pack that supports SQL 2005 is SP23_Q1. It also notes that you must have at least SP2 with cumulative update 6.

Yes, you should be SP23_Q1 or higher before doing it (in most cases.) I have one client who dropped Oracle support about 5 years ago and is still running on ERP8 / SP21. There db was over 1 TB in size and there old 32-bit SQL 2000 cluster could not keep up.

Knowing doom was imminent and not willing to write Oracle that "big check" we decided to roll the dice.

Two months ago we upgraded them to SQL 2008 Enterprise Edition running on Windows 2008 R2 VM. The VM was running on HyperV R2. We used the compression feature and dropped the size of the JDE_PRODUCTION db from over 1 TB to around 300 GB. DB communications was done via the latest SNAC drivers.

So far results have been nothing short of impressive. Batch performance has improved by over 40%. Page life expectancy and buffer hit/cache ratio makes me giggle like a school girl. The interactive users are a lot happier as well.

Although we had great results in this specific case I don't recommend clients gamble like this. Stay within the MTRs if at all possible.

Thanks for the reply Paul.

I haven't dabbled with JDE for a while, I take the update (ESU) is downloadable from the Oracle website. ALso which Planner ESU's should I apply.

After i've 'executed' the updates on the deployment server, I create and apply to both delployment and enterprise servers, In DV first. DO I require to create client packages.

The current SNAC is 1v 10 and for 2008, would that be applicable?

Thank You in advance and I apologise for sounding rather amataurish, this task has been given to me and I havent touched JDE for 5 years!

Paul,

Firstly thanks for the reply, I downloaded the latest ESU JD24819, and executed. I tkae it this ESU is for the PLanning environment. DO I have to create a package for each environment and do I require clients packages for each env., prior to the SQL 2000 to 2005 env.

Apologies if i sound like a novice, I havent touched JDE for about 5 years!

Use the latest SNAC client. Typically you will want to apply your planner ESU to all your pathcodes. The main difference with SQL 2005 from an E1 configuration is that on your ODBC connection you will need to update your ODBCs to use SQL Native Client.

Since its sounds like you are on maintenance with Oracle you really should upgrade to Tools 24 prior to upgrading to SQL 2005. Also as I said in my previous post you should dump SQL 2005 and go straight to SQL 2008. SQL 2005 has a limited shelf life as its already two versions behind.

How big is your JDE_PRODUCTION currently?

Another consideration with SQL 2005 is RCSI. If on SQL 2000 and have experienced a lot of issues with blocking it’s something you should definitely consider.

I have had some missing indexes after the upgrade so now I always run the R9698711 afterwards to check them. Wont work for any indexes that have been created outside of JDE.

Our prod db is around 70 gb. Unfortunately I don't have a decent enough server this year for sql 2008 etc.

i've upgraded to tools 24, and i'm getting issues with package builds, they build ok, but many apps and business functions are faultering.

I've got a copy of all the databases running on another sql server, which we are using as test data.

Still using odbc at the mo, and will look at snac!

Thanksf for all your help guys, will keep you posted!

Back