Trying to get some (more) info on Workflow...

altquark

altquark

Legendary Poster
ok - I posted this in the technical side of JDEList and really haven't gotten great responses from my fellow techies (just a couple). So, someone suggested that I should post the same question amongst the application folk out here.

My question revolves around WorkFlow - specifically the later version (2.0) that comes delivered with E1 9.0.

In the past, Workflow has gotten a pretty rough stick for being difficult to implement, and for being kludgy at best. But workflow has been extensively developed over the years - but is it better ?

The reason I'm asking specifics, is because although technically its not that difficult to set up, and if workflow is restricted to out-of-the-box functionality, then it seems to be a pretty good product. But if you need to move outside of those goalposts, such as putting an approval process on the address book, things very quickly become mired in lots of development work and lots of modifications on standard objects.

Or, am I wrong ?

I'd love to be wrong over this. But every single customer I've talked to so far has ended up with thousands of hours of development devoted to workflow processes. Is WorkFlow still a bear ?

I'm adding a poll to try and encourage SOME sort of response - but I really would love to hear from you workflow implementors !

Thankyou for your responses - and my apologies to Mr Kempter for a double-post (but hey, Workflow IS both a Technical and functional product !!!!)

Hi,

I've implemented workflow in both out of the box and custom scenarios. The degree of difficulty really depends on the module, with some being more conducive to mods than others, such as the financial workflows. The distribution workflows, namely the manufacturing ones do not usually work out of the box and will require at least some mods. The sales ones seem to work OK. There are just not enough of them. In fact, do not expect a lot of functionality in the 9.0 out of the WF box processes in any case, especially the newer ones. Development of WF processes from scratch though tedious is not that difficult. Overall though, I would not say that the new workflow is kludgy or at all un-usable. In fact, all things considered, I would strongly recommend its use.

thankyou. Seems that is the usual view - its a cool product, but it doesn't deliver everything out of the box, and it can be tedious to modify.

Back