Transaction files

JMR

VIP Member
Hi all,

We are in the process of determining how to go about populating our production data from our PY environment. This is for an initial go-live.

My idea was to copy everything and clear just the transaction files as opposed to just copying the files we 'think' we need. My reasoning is that I would be more concerned about missing important setup files.

I've done this in the past (for World) and from what I remember, the number of transaction files is FAR less than the number of files to copy. Am I correct? What have you done? If you have gone the route of clearing Tx files, is there a list of such files that should be cleared?

Thanks,

Hi Jeremy,

There's a few way's to approach this but my preferred method would be along the lines you suggest and to copy your PY to PD (Data and Objects) then clear out the transaction files. Your right about not wanting to miss out some important set-up files, the down side would be you don't want to leave any junk data in PD and also you need to be careful over any dependencies in your data (e.g. you may have cleared out your address book and find references all over the place, Branch plants, item/supplier relationships etc). To decide which transaction files should be cleared, which will obviously be heavily dependent on what data you plan on migrating after the clear down, I list all the populated files then sit with the configuration team to discuss what's needed and what isn't. Take some time to review this. Utilities such as UTB are good for reviewing what's held in some of more obscure files, and the audit fields will often be helpful in deciding where the record originated from.

Good luck

Neil.

Jeremy-

Check with the applications / financial people and / or JDE. There are
history tables that will need to be cleared too, if you "copy and clear". In
my experience in supporting go-live, we have preferred to identify the
required tables in PY and copy them over to an empty PD7333 instead. Any
missed tables could be found fairly quickly and copied over.

Good luck....

Regards,
David

Brightpoint NA
Sun/Oracle 8.1.6 / Citrix Xe base Sp15.1 live
Update 4 / SP18.1 sandbox

Back
Top Bottom