Stock Line types with a combo of inventory interface Y & B

kcl

We have certain stock items that need to be reflected in inventory but also charged to different business units. For eg. If a certain department orders supplies, Purchasing wants to be able to charge the cost to that particular business unit and also keep track of the available inventory. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

One off the cuff possibility could be the G/L posting code and set one up if
there are a limited amounts of accounts... and then change the G/L posting
code on the line to reflect which Division you want to drive it to...

Hi 'kcl'

I am not sure I understand your dilemma. When you purchase a stock item you debit inventory and credit RNV. Only when the parts are issued, the cost is charged to the business unit. This can be done a number of ways, but through P4112 with the processing option set to force account # entry, this is the easiest.

Rgds,

Are you referring to the G/L offset on the po detail line? Can you explain further how this can be done? Can I assign more than one g/l offset for the same item and when the user enters the po, they can override the g/l offset? When the po is received, then it will DR specific acct and cr RNV. Thanks.

Hi there... well you have a couple of options -

1. Use a J or B line type and assign the account when the PO is entered,
however this doesn't interface with the G/L (out of the box) so you wouldn't
be able to track quantities on the system.
2. As Sef has stated before - After receiving a product using S line type
then go into P4112 and adjust it out using an account number to charge the
proper account. (This would be the recommended way!)
3. Use a S line type and enter the line and change the G/L posting code to
reflect the account you want to hit.

I had a client that wanted to expense the items when they came in even
though they tracked the quantities on the system... number 3 is what we had,
but we had a limited number of object accounts and we let the Business Unit
default on the AAIs to the business unit it was... Please review and let me
know... thanks, Bobby

Hi Bobby

Thanks for your help. I was going over your options and if we go with option 3, is there a way to default in the object account on the AAI's and assign the expense to different business units? We also want to expense the items when they are received bypassing hitting an inventory account. I just want to make sure I understand the setup. For each business unit I need to charge this expense to, I would need to assign a new gl posting category code for each business unit. We have a possibility of charging any of our 50 business units which means I would have to setup 50 different posting category codes and add these to each item as a different location. Thanks, Karen

Hi Karen - You may not need to set up 50... is your expense object account
the same for each one of your 50 locations? thanks, Bobby

Thanks for your help. I was going over your options and if we go with
option 3, is there a way to default in the object account on the AAI's and
assign the expense to different business units? We also want to expense
the items when they are received bypassing hitting an inventory account. I
just want to make sure I understand the setup. For each business unit I
need to charge this expense to, I would need to assign a new gl posting
category code for each business unit. We have a possibility of charging any
of our 50 business units which means I would have to setup 50 different
posting category codes and add these to each item as a different location.
Thanks, Karen

Then when you set up the AAI.. use one new G/L posting code... and on the
aai set it up let this...

00000 OP NEWC _____ (BU) 1000 (OBJ) _____ SUb

then the Business unit will default into the account based on the business
unit that the purchase order was created for... does this make sense?
thanks, Bobby

Hi Bobby,

When we enter a po, our branch plant is always bu 4001. I tested your setup and I needed to change this branch plant to the specific business unit we wanted to charge. I also needed to add the business unit as an additional item branch for the item and also set this up in my branch constants. Is this correct? I would like to keep the branch plant as 4001, but if this is how the system defaults in the business unit from the po, we may have to consider changing this. Thanks, Karen

Hi Karen -

In our set up.. we have the same issue... our B/P on the item is always
1000.... a guess our big difference is an item is usually defaulted to
expense against one group (operations vs maintenance vs office supplies)...
there for we use the G/L category code really specific to an account... for
example...

DMAAI 4310

00000 OP OP17 (operations) 104 44010 01

I think in your scenario... if you can't do it in a one to one
relationship... you could enter the different G/L class codes on the PO...
let me know. thanks, Bobby

When we enter a po, our branch plant is always bu 4001. I tested your setup
and I needed to change this branch plant to the specific business unit we
wanted to charge. I also needed to add the business unit as an additional
item branch for the item and also set this up in my branch constants. Is
this correct? I would like to keep the branch plant as 4001, but if this is
how the system defaults in the business unit from the po, we may have to
consider changing this. Thanks, Karen

Hello Sef.
We are working with the same dilemma as KCL from the below post in 2003.
We purchase our job-related items with an OP order using SC line types and entering the account number for the business unit related to job cost (bu.obj.sub).

When receiving the PO, the amount is charged to the business unit in Job Cost and Unvouchered Receipts AND then a location is assigned, which the inventory account is also charged, thus creating an out-of-balance entry.
We do not purchase to an inventory account and then charge/move it to the job because of budget visibility at time of purchase and our current business setup/practice.

What can be done to purchase using the job cost accounting, but maintain a location related to the parts until they are used?

~Kelli

[ QUOTE ]
From kcl 02/28/2003: We have certain stock items that need to be reflected in inventory but also charged to different business units. For eg. If a certain department orders supplies, Purchasing wants to be able to charge the cost to that particular business unit and also keep track of the available inventory. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
From Sef 03/02/2003: Hi 'kcl'
<br>
<br>I am not sure I understand your dilemma. When you purchase a stock item you debit inventory and credit RNV. Only when the parts are issued, the cost is charged to the business unit. This can be done a number of ways, but through P4112 with the processing option set to force account # entry, this is the easiest.
<br>
<br>Rgds,

[/ QUOTE ]

Iam not sure whether I get your requirement correctly. As per what I understand, you receive an item and would like to track stock but you would like teh accounting entries to reflect in another BU.
This can be achieved by defining the COmbination of BU.OBJECT.SUB for DMAAI 4310 & 4320 to reflect the BU where you want the accounting entries to be directed. However,if you have the same item to behave differently in different conditions, you will have to use Different order types. So DMAAIs work on combination of order type-GL Class. So play around with this to achieve your need.

[ QUOTE ]
Iam not sure whether I get your requirement correctly. As per what I understand, you receive an item and would like to track stock but you would like teh accounting entries to reflect in another BU.
This can be achieved by defining the COmbination of BU.OBJECT.SUB for DMAAI 4310 & 4320 to reflect the BU where you want the accounting entries to be directed. However,if you have the same item to behave differently in different conditions, you will have to use Different order types. So DMAAIs work on combination of order type-GL Class. So play around with this to achieve your need.

[/ QUOTE ]

Our situation:

1. Items purchased for a job are expensed to the job via the account number on the PO line.
2. When PO is received, the cost is posted to the account on the PO (job cost expense) and AP Trade.
3. In Job Cost, the receipt triggers the cost to move from the PA ledger to the AA ledger.
4. A job bin location is assigned during PO receipt.

The items in the job bin location never get "flushed out". (WOs not implemented yet) We are looking for a way to relieve these materials from the job bin location.

Our current resolution:

1. Created new doc type (IF)
grin.gif
to distribute the materials at the time it is pulled to be manufactured/installed for the project.
2. Modified AAIs 4122 and 4124 to reflect the same account number for this doc type.
3. Documentation is received by Inventory from Manufacturing to pull job bin items.
4. Upon completion, document is forwarded to inventory control to process in JDE using the IF doc type, which is a version of the Issues interactive application.

~Kelli

Back