Sales Update

rcandeo

Well Known Member
We are running the sales update only at night. Does anybody runs this program one by one during the day?
Is there any risks on it?
I´m having problems with my availability that I think running sales after shipping would avoid this problems.

Running Sales Update while everyone is accessing the sales detail file (and many others) is a BAD idea. What kind of availability problems are you having? You would be better off addressing those issues than running P42800 during operating hours.

Running Sales Update during operating hours, when users are in the sales detail file (among others), is a BAD idea. It has caused me many "unpredictable results". What availibility problems are you having? It's a much better idea to try and address those issues.

Maybe you can solve your availability problems by starting the repost active sales order batch (R42995)?
This helped us a lot in case of availability problems. (Depending on what your problem is of course)

Hello,

we run the sales update early in the morning while other user are working. In the next 3 years we didn't trace any problem with that, but we have strong internal rules to prevent problem (do we think).

R42565 : invoice date = system date

R42800 is only run on invoices from previous day(s),
R42800 does not update inventory (P4205 does),
Data selection :
- Next status = 600
- Order type = SO (and any other sales document that conduct to an invoice)
- Document type = RI
- Invoice date < "today"
- Invoice number > 1
- Company number = the one which should be updated
and some other little one that help the accountant to detect errors --> Yes by us the account department is responsible for the Sales update as it conduct actualy to do the accounting. Throught the AAI combination (with flex) we detect what user should not have done, that is why we launch the R42800 in proof mode first, see if any errors are detected in the work center (correct them eventualy - category code in the article or the customer ...).

Does it respond to your question ?

Also see the KG keyword R42800 (there is a big document on FAQ about it)

B733.1 SP 7.1

I would generally agree that running Sales Update during the day is not a good idea. But if you're completely confident that your data selection would cause sales update to only read orders that aren't being touched by any other UBE or application (I think UBE's or a bit more concerning because they don't lock records whereas applications do). If you think about it, during the day most companies already have pickslips running, backorder release, and maybe even invoicing, which all hit F4211.

But on the other hand, I would agree with what others have said that you should address your availability problem specifically. There are three things that we do to try to keep availability as accurate and as real-time as possible.

1. Relieve inventory at ship confirmation (P4205) rather than Sales Update. This can be done via processing options and helps to keep inventory more accurate during the day. You can even set the processing options to relieve inventory at both steps and not worry because if inventory was already relieved it won't relieve again.

2. Run repost sales orders (R42995) nightly when NO users are in the system and NO report is running that does anything with inventory. If anyone is entering orders, repost is trying to chase a moving target. Run it wide open, meaning don't confine it via data selection such as by orders, etc. That may only make things worse. You could however run it by item or groups of items.

3. Created a report to look that runs hourly to look for "odd" availabilty, like negative commitments or negative onhand.

Using the approach above, we are able to keep our inventory pretty accurate. If you have more questions about any of this, just let me know.

Thank You all for your help. I´ll analyse now my better way.
Robson

Back
Top Bottom