Restore from .par file

gerd_renz3

VIP Member
Hi folks,

I received some backups from OMW projects in PAR files and I am trying to restore them to my system via OMW Save/Restore option.

It seems that I can restore BSVS, data structures, DD items, UDCs, menus but not applications or reports. I get the infamous "General Error" from OMW.

I am restoring E812 objects to E900. Can I not do that?

BTW, all objects are new to my target system, there are no OL records for them. Am I missing something?

Thanks, Gerd

I had the same issue the other day when trying to restore a UBE. So I checked it in, checked it out, and then the restore worked. Try it!

I think the newer 8.98 Tools Release is capable of creating the OL record too. Are the specs there if you go to the Design Tools? Is the Object Librarian record there? What is the message for the error in OMW logging?

No Ken, there are no specs and no OL records. I even created one of the objects new, saved it from the Form Design Tool and then tried to import it. Did not work.

It´s interesting though that it works for some types of objects, not for APPLs and UBEs.

I also was able to import all objects to my Demo. I then saw that my Demo is 8.98.03 tools and my other system 8.98. I am downloading a newer tools release. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Thanks, Gerd

One additional 'gotcha' that I noticed on a Standalone. If an object already exists, doing the restore from the .par does not always replace the object on your system.

I received some updated .par files, imported them and saw no changes. I cleared the F9860 record, reloaded them and obtain the updated objects.

Your mileage may vary.

(db)

[ QUOTE ]

I am restoring E812 objects to E900. Can I not do that?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. You cannot take a 8.12 par file and restore it to 9.00 - omw save/restore is only designed for the same version, not for different versions. That's why an upgrade performs a spec merge. The only way to do this is with boomerang. Contact me if you're interested.

[ QUOTE ]
No. You cannot take a 8.12 par file and restore it to 9.00 - omw save/restore is only designed for the same version, not for different versions.

[/ QUOTE ]
Jon,

I had thought that since the change to the XML format around 8.11 SP1, that the actual specs saved in the Central Objects hadn't changed that much through 9.0. In fact, I have been able to successfully transfer objects using the OMW Save/Restore functionality between 8.11 SP1, 8.12, and 9.0.

There were some precautions I took, however:

- The workstations all used the same Tools Release level. So if the object was Saved in 8.11 SP1 using Tools Release 8.98.2.4, then the object was Restored to an 8.12 workstation using the same TR.
- All the objects were custom. No standard JDE objects.
- In the release that was the Restore target, I created the new objects in an OMW project first, then did the Restore operation. I did see some errors, which I believe were complaints that the OL record already existed, but the objects did come across cleanly.
- I followed a strict order: all TBLE first, check them in; all BSVW second, check them in; all DSTR next, both processing option templates and business function data structures, checked them in; etc. That way, I would be sure that when a spec for an APPL or UBE came in, it wouldn't complain about the lack of a dependent object.

I had doubts when I started, but after experimenting with it, I was convinced that it was working, as long as the above precautions were followed.

[Begin Edit]
P.S. The reason I used an 8.98.x Tools Release was because older Tools Releases could not Save TBLE and BSFN objects. (I know Jon knows this, but there are others out there who may not.)

P.P.S. I forgot ... the actual first step was to recreate all the custom Data Dictionary items.
[End Edit]

I've transfered quite a few .PAR file from 8.12 to 9.0 - with no issues.

(db)

Well, I updated my tools and was able to upload/restore the objects.
Jon, I understand that this tools was not designed to be used in this way, but it is so handy to be able to transport objects from one installation to another ...

Thanks all, Gerd

I will try to get an 'official' word from JDE/bOrgacle regarding the Versioning transitions.

Thus far, I've been able to transition back and forth between a couple clients' 8.12, 9.0 and a pair of 9.0 standalones (pre-update-2 and update-2)

(db)

Sorry...my fault for posting something in a hurry. I'm not saying it isn't possible, I was merely indicating it wasnt DESIGNED to take different versions - and I wanted to plug boomerang too (which IS designed to perform that task).

I think more accurately, it's not DESIGNED to go between different TOOLS release versions - which makes far more sense. Of course, your mileage may vary - but I'd state categorically that the further apart your tools release is, the less chance you'd be able to transport using the .par export method.

Boomerang, on the other hand, can operate between XE service releases and 9.0 releases.

Glad to hear that it worked in the end after the tools release update tho!

I would like to add just one more observation.

I was happily restoring quite a few projects after I had it working with the 8.98.41 tools. Only to come across two custom NERSs that would not restore.
After trying everything possible and impossible I got a copy of tools 8.98.34 and applied (unzipp, copy/paste) it only to my fat client. After that I was able to get the two remaining NERs.

What I am trying to say it that this feature seems to be highly dependent on the tools version you use. Quite delicate.

Thanks, Gerd

Back