"Read only" Row security

Robert Robinson

Robert Robinson

Reputable Poster
\"Read only\" Row security

This is taking it back a ways...
I am trying to recall how to institute Row Security on company so that a user can view and run reports on a company, but if they try to enter a transaction such as a journal entry, the company field immediately highlights red.
For the companies in question, I set Row security for all tables to View, Yes/Add, Change, Delete No. I then add the new security to a role, and a role to a test user. When i have the test user create a journal entry, the CO field does not light up; however, the security causes a commit failed error (the journal entry never takes). I do not want the transaction to get to the commit stage, though.

Forgive my failing memory, but how is this "read only" security created again? I am doing real well with total lockouts (where view also equals no)...

Re: \"Read only\" Row security

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but we see exactly what you describe - job falls on it's ass with no warning to user. I didn't do exhaustive research to see if there was a more elegant way to have jobs error, since I see all the unsuccessful postings anyway...

From what I am seeing, this is the case...in essence the Row Security violation causes a "commit failed" error on transaction. From a security standpoint, it means that a person who has "view only" on a company can not create G/L entries; the bad news is that you go a ways to find that out. My research pulls up an ESU JJ16368 which may hasten the Row Security error; will have installed this weekend in DEV and will report findings for information purposes.

ESU JJ16368 did not solve the problem (still seeing the commit failed error)...

Back