Quest 2005 News

Alex_Pastuhov

Alex_Pastuhov

Legendary Poster
I was hoping to see some posts from the Q2005 attendees, about the latest developments and news from the conference, so I have created this thread, to encourage anyone who can spare a minute to drop a few lines here...

The biggest news is on the World front. Support for world until 2013.
A planned new release of World. Direct upgrade to Fusion from World (I
am guessing the next release, not the current one) to Fusion.

Fusion, Fusion, Fusion is coming out of the Oracle people's talks. The
tech sig tried to get frequent posters to stand up, including you Alex.
Guess you wern't there, huh?

No real big news on E-1. I'll post more if things pop up.

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

If the Tech sig was trying to get frequent posters to stand up, why didn't
they fly Master Zoltan to the conference? That's what they should have
done!

(db)

One of the interesting bits I picked up today was that for E1 8.12 Oracle Application Server will be supported but Websphere will not be though OAS will not be supported until 8.12.

I've been waiting for some big news. So far, not much that has interested me. I missed the stuff about OAS being the only supported app server in 8.12...that is huge news. Huge.

Charles is correct in that statement. OAS is part of Fusion Middleware.
They say that they will continue to support websphere, BEA and other
databases, but if you read between the lines, if you want Fusion, you
should be "All In" on Oracle. (Hey I'm in Texas this week, so I might
as well use Texas Hold 'em terminology). They were talking a lot about
Fusion being very standards compliant. Lots of XML and Java technology
in our future.

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.
175 E Park Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14150
(716) 879-3169

A correction to my last post.

Today it was explained that support for Oracle Enterprise Server, as well as a few other pieces of the middleware will be supported with Tools 8.95 which is being released this year around September, the same time that JDE EnterpriseOne 8.11SP1 should come out. So it looks like both platforms will be supported for a little while. It sounds like SP1 will be just an ESU rollup so that you won't have to install 'all those ESU's'.
Possibly more info to come tomorrow with the E1 tools and tech roadmap presentation.

One of the best giveaways so far was the Upgrade Resources CD from Oracle. I haven't had a chance to look at it much but it is supposed to have all the net change docs - both app and file from XE to 8.11. A quick scan of the CD - it looks packed full of goodies. With links to the most up to date versions of all the docs. Here is a list of it's contents:
E1 Upgrade CD - Web Links
Version 1.0 - June 2005

EVALUATE
Upgrade Value Proposition
UVP - CPG
UVP - Life Sciences
UVP - Automotive
8.11 SP1 Statement of Direction
JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Overview
E1 Tools 8.93 Release Value Proposition
E1 Tools 8.94 Statement of Direction
E1 Tools 8.95 Statement of Direction
Upgrading to PeopleSoft EnterpriseOne 8.10/8.11
Oracle Applications Strategy
Upgrade Strategies - Whitepaper
Upgrade Paths - Presentation
Upgrade Framework
Upgrade Decision Tool
Usability Analysis
How We are Improving the Usability of EnterpriseOne
E1 Products Compatability
Upgrade Customer Consortium
Upgrade Resources Website

PLAN
EnterpriseOne Release 8.11 Upgrade Documentation
8.11/8.94 Training Curriculum
Unicode Overview Presentation
Unicode Data Conversion Guide
Unicode FAQ's
Unicode Guidelines
Flat File Coding
EnterpriseOne Tools 8.94 Hardware and Software Requirements Guide
Minimum Technical Requirements
Upgrade Framework
DB Schema Changes
DB Schema Changes - Xe to 8.11
DB Schema Changes - 8.0 to 8.11
DB Schema Changes - 8.9 to 8.11
DB Schema Changes - Xe to 8.10
DB Schema Changes - 8.0 to 8.10
Technical Considerations to Upgrade from EnterpriseOne XE to 8.10 or 8.11
Technical Best Practices for Moving from the EnterpriseOne Windows Client to the Web Client
Webclient TCO
Powerforms Applications

EXECUTE
8.11 Programmers Guide
8.10 Programmers Guide
8.9 Programmers Guide
8.0 Programmers Guide
Support Assistant version 3.5
Change Assistant
Change Management Best Practices
EnterpriseOne 8.11 Web Development Client Installation and Configuration
EnterpriseOne Tools 8.94 Webserver Installation Guide for Unix based systems and Websphere 5.0
EnterpriseOne Tools 8.94 Web Server Installation for iSeries-Based Systems and WebSphere 5.0
EnterpriseOne Tools 8.94 Web Server Installation for Windows-Based Systems and WebSphere 5.0
8.93 JAS iSeries with WebSphere 50
8.93 JAS UNIX with WebSphere 50
8.93 JAS INTELNT with WebSphere 50

Wholy Cow! Now I'm going to kick myself all the way to Kuna, that I didn't go. If those docs sound out, what a Gold Mine!

(db)

Where did you get the CD? I know you said Oracle, but was it available at a particular session or in your bag? Maybe I've been spending too much time trying to win free IPod's and PSP's.

Never mind. I got the CD, and, guess what, a free IPod Mini to boot!

Well,
Nothing new except one post on questdirect.org INFOCAST , were seems the ORACLE middleware FUSION is similar to SAP NetWeaver.
Very intresting POST.

Charles,

Unless there were two Charles Anderson's attending the conference, dude, you blew it! They called your name for the Cruise. If you had attended the final session, the least you would have walked away with was an Ipod. You would have had a one in three shot at the Cruise. Bummer!!

That is a bummer. haha. I can't believe it. Actually, I can. I hate ships anyway.

8.95 will ship with full support for Fusion Middleware. They are pushing the "Red Stack" big time. By "Red Stack", of course, they are referring to Oracle Application Server, Portal, BPEL, etc.

Your investment will be protected if you are a "Blue Stack" customer, but they are going to slowly push folks into the red, so to speak. :)

The 8.12 release seems to be heavily targeted at AgriBusiness. They are also promising new SCM modules in the areas of Lean manufacturing, CRM, HCM to "take advantage of installed base penetration opportunity." Basically, this is a sign of things to come as far as new sales are concerned in the US and mostly abroad.

A question was posed concerning new application sales: the Oracle answer is that Australia and one other market will be targeted for new E1 business (couldn't make it out, might have been the hand covering his mouth while he spoke the name, j/k!)

I heard from one Oracle rep at Quest that if you didn't get one of the CD's, to notify Oracle with your name and a request for the CD and they'd get you a copy. I'd check with your Oracle Account Manager/Rep as a starting point.

I especially enjoyed sessions on "Reconciling Inventories to G/L" (session 10570) and "Implementation of E1 Web and Portal Technology" (session 10510). Both had lots of great information, and were packed with attendees.

I also heard repeatedly during the conference that Quest will post the conference presentations on their website, and which will be available for download for some period of time. Don't know if it's only for Quest members, though.

Yes, I agree that it was a very good conference.

I dont think changes to OAS will be that big a deal, as all the Java based
App server are kind of same, designed on J2EE specs provided by Sun. JDE's
specs based will always come handy in such a move, as they just have to
change the toolset to handle OAS requirements. I am more interested to
know more about Fusion and direction it is taking.

Thanks

I was at Q2005 and thought it was a great conference. The next one will be in Nashville at the Gaylord. They are calling it Collaborate 06; Vegas in 07. The following are a few tidbits I learned from the conference.

1. Quest will be the umbrella user group for the old Peoplesoft ICAB. IOUC is the umbrella group for Quest and OAUG.
2. I went to the Fusion Council breakout session. The look and feel of fusion will be the Oracle Foundation E-Business suites. A demo version (I'm told) can be found on the OAUG web site. They are talking about having 20-30 companies on the fusion council. This council will not be the only source that Oracle uses for input.
3. Fusion Middleware, Oracle Application Server, the Red Stack will be available with service pack 8.95. I asked if E1 8.10 will be supported with the Red Stack and was told yes.
4. The path to Fusion is 8.11 and above. I asked about 8.10 and was told to send an e-mail to the VP of Suite Application Product Strategy if we have a compelling reason for having a path to fusion from 8.10. As others have posted Websphere will not be a part of fusion.
5. The decision about the database for fusion has not been finalized. This is a Larry call. It will most likely be announced at Open World. An Oracle only database could drive alot of customers away.
6. From a show of hands, in most to the tech session that I went to, most users were still on XE with about 25-30% working on an upgrade project.
7. Fusion will come out in modules starting in 2008. It was inferred that you could bolt these modules to your existing product suite if you were current with the service packs and installed the middleware. In other words you could bite off a little of fusion one module at a time. (I could be totally wrong here).
8. They are expecting 30,000 people at Open World. No thank you. Connect 2004 was a zoo with 15,000.
9. For those of you that were at the unmasking at the Technical Sig, only two people stood up. Are the rest of you shy or just prefer to remain masked?

Patty

[ QUOTE ]
9. For those of you that were at the unmasking at the Technical Sig, only two people stood up. Are the rest of you shy or just prefer to remain masked?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Patty,

I would have unmasked if my username was mentioned. Of course, my username is not much of an alias..... Hey Jon, what the heck is an "altquark" anyway?

[ QUOTE ]
9. For those of you that were at the unmasking at the Technical Sig, only two people stood up. Are the rest of you shy or just prefer to remain masked? Patty

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard my user name was called but I wasn't in the session. I always include my name in my signature so I don't considered myself masked.

I don't come here to trash. I come to help and be helped. I think that's true for most of us. Oracle seems to be more user oriented like J. D. Edwards. PeopleSoft was a bit too paranoid for my blood. I really enjoyed the conference and brought some good ideas home for making things better.

P.S. I know who John Elway is now.

I guess it would be kind of silly to call the name of someone who has unmasked himself already. I didn't attend that particular session. Actually, I didn't even plan on attending Quest until the last minute and decided to join Quest at the conference in order to save a few bucks. So, does anyone have an estimate of jdelist posters who also attended the conference? I wonder how they would even know you were in the room if you use an avatar? ;-)

Back